Redundancy for cancer patient and what benefits are available?

Options
Good morning all

My mum is 62 and has been diagnosed with st4 cervical cancer. She went through chemo and there has been a decision not to carry on any treatment due to an advanced cancer stage :(

She has gone off work a few months ago due to deteriorated health after chemo, but now she wanted to go back to lighter duties and occupational health advised that she can (providing it is available)

Her company says there are no lighter duties available and offered her a redundancy.

My mum is inclined to take it as obviously working is hard for her at the moment. However the payment will likely to be just a few thousands of statutory redundancy.

The question really is what other benefits are available to her?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2018 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Can I suggest you/your mum contact Macmillan. They have benefits advisers for people in your mum's situation. If there isn't one in your area they will be to advise on the phone

They are good

https://finance.macmillan.org.uk/benefits/benefits-online
  • Ezorqs
    Ezorqs Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2018 at 5:05PM
    Options
    ESA is a distinct possibility but I too would recommend Mamillan to support this process. Potentially PIP too. While waiting for them to get back to you (doesn't take long) it might be worth using Turn2us or Entitledto in order to check any other eligible benefits.

It really depends on circumstances however, does she have savings? Does have have an occupational pension? There's ESA New style (e.g ESA Contributions) but that doesn't pay as much.

--

I think I can speak for everyone when I say, we're extremely sorry to hear of your mum's circumstances and wish you and your mum the best of luck during this horrible period.
  • Crosby
    Crosby Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Contacted Macmillan via our local council (I hope it is the right link) and whilst waiting for them to respond we have done a few researches.

Only option seems to be ESA but indeed it doesn't pay much.

My mum does have a pension which she will ask HR on how to get, whether the whole amount can be released now and tax complications on it. Sadly no savings but equally no mortgage (own outright). So it's the bills that need covering (council tax, light heat car insurance petrol and food). Which actually amount to a pretty hefty number.

Tomorrow I'm planning to pop into the hospital where she had her treatment, I remember when she started the nurses gave a wade of papers for financial support and McMillan contacts, at that time it was felt it wasn't needed - how wrong were we?
    Anyway many thanks again, the only other question - have we done the right thing by contacting Macmillan through the council? Or should have we phoned them direct?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    She might get Council Tax Support dependent on her income. I'd have a look at PIP too.

I would usually get people to phone them direct but we have also referred. The Council may have the local contact. I don't think it matters - getting in touch with them is the main thing.

I hope it works out as well as it can for you and your mum
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    My ears always !!!!! up when I hear the word "redundancy" in relation to medical issues. It may be that you are using the wrong word (people do get confused if they don't know what they are doing). But this is categorically not a redundancy in law. So I'd be wondering why they are offering redundancy. Maybe it's a kind gesture. Maybe it isn't.

If you'd like to explore that a bit more, why not nip over to the employment board and post up some employment information rather than information needed to look at benefits? There's no harm in checking that her employer isn't pulling a fast one.... Especially since I notice there's a pension involved, and redundancy might invalidate her ability to draw down some pension benefits.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Options
    You mention an occupational pension - your mother needs to explore the ill health options.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Would she not be best to stay on the sick/esa and wait until dismissal on health grounds?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport