Using annual leave for emergency’s

Options

Comments

• Sophielooloo
    Options
    My husband works away so isn’t here that much through the week, he takes her to a lot of appointments when he is here and often takes time off when she’s in hospital
  • Sophielooloo
    Options
    Thanks for your message, unfortunately I am not in a position financially to do anything other than work full time
  • Sophielooloo
    Options
    The appointments are every 2 weeks and even though the appointments themselves are only s couple of hours, they are right in the middle of the day and the hospitals an hour away so it’s almost a full day off work.
    I spoke to Acas today who said I am entitled to take them unpaid which is good news.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    The appointments are every 2 weeks and even though the appointments themselves are only s couple of hours, they are right in the middle of the day and the hospitals an hour away so it!!!8217;s almost a full day off work.
    I spoke to Acas today who said I am entitled to take them unpaid which is good news.
    Really? Another example of ACAS asserting things that are really not accurate. They must get as many people fired as they solve!

As you have been told, there is only a right to unpaid leave too arrange for emergency care or urgent situation - not to spend two days in a hospital with your child, no matter what reason they are there. So the employer doesn't have to give you this time at all - paid or annual leave. They only have to allow you time to make suitable arrangements and return to work.

There is also a right to unpaid parental leave, which I suspect is what has confused the ACAS contact centre staff. Parental leave must be taken in blocks of time, and you are required to give at least 21 days notice of taking it.

Whatever ACAS had told you, either you have misunderstood or they are wrong. Do not go in to your employer and demand a right you don't have, or you may find that it had the effect of them becoming less flexible, not more. You need to discuss this situation and negotiate, but in the end they have the upper hand - they aren't required to arrange work around your family.

By the way, there is no such thing as registered disabled. Hasn't been for decades.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    have you asked them what will happen when you've run out of annual leave before the end of the year, and still wish to attend appointments?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

I need to attend hospital appointments for my son, I didn't realise I could take them as unpaid, depending on the time of appointment I either book a half day leave or make the time up if I come in late or leave early.

Luckily our hospital is only 15 minutes away so that makes it easier.

EDIT: just seen sangie's reply :(
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    The appointments are every 2 weeks and even though the appointments themselves are only s couple of hours, they are right in the middle of the day and the hospitals an hour away so it’s almost a full day off work.

Have you done what I suggested, and googled carer's leave?

Paid sick and carer's leave - Fair Work Ombudsman
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you done what I suggested, and googled carer's leave?

Paid sick and carer's leave - Fair Work Ombudsman

That puts me onto an Australian web site.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    That puts me onto an Australian web site.
    It would. It doesn't exist in the UK.
  • coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    It would. It doesn't exist in the UK.

Some organisations in the UK do have carer's leave policies which are separate from compassionate leave, parental leave etc.

My experience of these policies is exclusively in Scotland and in the public sector - widely defined.

It's always worth checking your own organisation's policies to see if it's in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure