Total rewire!!! - How much does this cost?

Options
:eek: We have been told the house we are looking to buy needs a total rewire. Current owners appear to have tinkered, sorry done some DIY and this has not helped.

Had a quote in around 4k. Its a small 3 bedroomed house in Berkshire.
Its currently got 1960 original wiring with no earth in the system and original fusebox.

We would really appreciate some idea of what people think is a reasonable cost for this and if anyone has any idea on the cost of a plasterer that would be great info as well. We have not had to do this before so have no idea about the going rate for these types of services.

We really need to know because we want to go back to the vendor and negotiate the price down to make it within budget. We also want to make sure that if/when we buy the house we are not paying over the odds for the work.

Thanks.

Comments

• beckyw_2
    Options
    We paid around 4k to have a 4 bed/3 reception house rewired in Cardiff. That also included putting an alarm in, running power to a detached garage and putting a ring main in the attic in case we ever decided to convert it.

A plasterer is around £200/room in Cardiff.

Hope this helps
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My father had a 3 bed rewired for 2800 under a council grant but they surface mounted everything, so there are cables on the wall everywhere.
    4k sounds reasonable.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • bazza1603
    Options
    Hi,

My Mate is an electrician. Is works five days a week, but does jobs on the side at a weekend.

He normally charges between £1200 and £1800 depending on the job based on a 3 bedroom working from a Friday night to a Sunday night. He pays someone to help him with the dirty work and still makes al least £350. Not sure if the no earth bit causes problems or not..

If you can get the right person it will be reasonable. Problem being is getting someone that you know will do the job quickly and safely. The certificates they need and the testing equipment is not cheap. If they dont have the certiciates its illegal for them to work in certain parts of the house (kitchen or bathroom I believe)

My mate is based in Newcastle, if anyone want to PM me...

Good luck with your offer....

Best regards

Baz...

Ps Offer 10 percent less... The worst they can say is no!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure