Tax Credits Overpayment - but they don't want the money back?

Options
Hiya, I wonder if this has happened to anybody else.
Basically, I got the letter from Inland Revenue last year (around March/April) to say I was overpaid by £153. They have me either a choice to pay in full in one off payment or pay by 12 installments. I couldn't afford a one off payment so I phoned them up and asked to be sent a booklet of 12 payment slips. I had recieved nothing. So I phoned them again last month (by that time I completely forgot about the debt as I heard absolutely nothing from them) and they basically said that my records showed my request but couldn't understand why I received nothing. They again promised to sent me the payment slips but more than 1 month on I still haven't received anything. What do I do now? Do I just forget about it as they don't seem to care or do I phone them AGAIN? Do you think it would be cheeky of me to say I won't pay them since they don't seem to want my money anyway? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
It's best to regret things you have done rather than those you have not...

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do I just forget about it as they don't seem to care or do I phone them AGAIN? Do you think it would be cheeky of me to say I won't pay them since they don't seem to want my money anyway?
    I would suggest you phone them again. It's Inland Revenue that you are dealing with and saying you "won't pay" is NOT a good idea!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • zeryx
    zeryx Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I'd advise you to phone back as Fran says, they may well have sent them but for some reason they've not arrived - debt recovery proceedings will only be started against you.
    Nice to save.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport