How to convert vhs to pc

Options
Is there a cheap way to put vhs recordings onto a pc and into mp4 format?

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could buy a chap capture device and an old VHS machine and do it yourself, depends on what quality you want?

There are lots of shops that will do the transfer for you and put the footage on disc or flash drive.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    You could buy a chap capture device and an old VHS machine and do it yourself, depends on what quality you want?

There are lots of shops that will do the transfer for you and put the footage on disc or flash drive.

I still have a vhs player but want to put it onto a more sustainable format whether that be a dvd or usb stick. I may also upload to youtube if the quality is acceptable. I only have one thing i want to do this with at the moment. I didnt think of finding a shop that can do it. Thats probably the best way. Now i just need to dig it out of the pile of tapes i have, it must be somewhere. Knowing my luck it will have been thrown out.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    have you tried searching? A quick google search shows the cables etc you would need
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I still have a vhs player but want to put it onto a more sustainable format whether that be a dvd or usb stick. I may also upload to youtube if the quality is acceptable. I only have one thing i want to do this with at the moment. I didnt think of finding a shop that can do it. Thats probably the best way. Now i just need to dig it out of the pile of tapes i have, it must be somewhere. Knowing my luck it will have been thrown out.

LIDL sell these from time to time; https://www.lidl.de/de/silvercrest-usb-video-grabber-2-0-svg-2-0-a3/p203384

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Silvercrest-USB-Video-GRABBER/1593109375

https://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/28995-silvercrest-usb-video-grabber/
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Options
    have you tried searching? A quick google search shows the cables etc you would need

You don't even need to search Google - there are a vast number of identical threads in this orum alone - with all the answers the OP needs.

So many in fact that I really think this subject needs to be added to the Forum Sticky!
  • ftmuser
    ftmuser Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    You need to attach a vhs recorder and a DVD recorder to a TV
  • ftmuser
    ftmuser Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    How to

CONNECT DVD RECORDER’S AV1 TO EITHER AV1 or AV2 ON THE TV (choose AV2)
    CONNECT VCR AV1 TO REMAINING TV AV INPUT (choose AV2)
    CONNECT DVD’S AV2 TO AV2 ON VCR
    CONNECT ARIAL TO DVD RF INPUT
    CONNECT DVD RF OUT TO VCR RF IN
    CONNECT VCR RF OUT TO TV ARIAL IN

TO COPY VHS TAPE- PRESS (AV INPUT) ON DVD REMOTE UNTIL A2 SHOWS IN DVD DISPLAY
    PRESS (AV INPUT) on VIDEO TO AV1
    Remember Short Play
    Also remember to change from HDD to DVD
    PRESS PLAY on VHS
    PRESS REC on VCR

Hope this helps
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ftmuser wrote: »
    You need to attach a vhs recorder and a DVD recorder to a TV

Yeah, we have a dvd recorder buts its been in the cupboard for years. I guess i should give it a try.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Options
    If the tapes are 'getting on a bit' which I guess they must be. The odds are you'll need to adjust the tracking on the VCR to get a stable picture. Maybe for each tape.

If you can ask around your friends if anyone of them has an old SVHS deck you'll get a better result and more control of the output of the machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure