Compensation query

Options
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on whether I should accept a compensation offer I've been presented with or whether I should go to the financial ombudsman to pursue:

In July 2012 I applied for a Santander 123 credit card and was declined, so I thought I would look into my credit file. To my astonishment I found that the nice people who moved into my old house had set up 6 different store/catalogue cards!

I contacted each of the companied involved and provided any necessary paperwork they required and thought nothing of it.

Earlier this year I decided to reapply for the same card and was again rejected. I therefore had to go through the hassle of obtaining another credit report and found that Grattans had not actioned the paperwork I had sent them.

Upon calling them, they stated that I was given the address of a collections agency rather than Grattans to send the paperwork so they state they never received it - although details were provided by Grattans and notes on account from a year ago confirm I called to state fraud etc.

I resent the paperwork and they have responded to say they have removed the item from my file.

The account which had been set up in my maiden name (I had been married 5 years before account set up) and a totally incorrect DOB (wrong day/date/year). The complaint handler at Grattans made a claim that something due to electoral roll and that's what they searched when checking id for account, but on a basic search of this, it seems that I was listed in my married name in the electoral rolls of 2008 and 2010 (account was started in Oct 2010). This is just the basic data - but I'm pretty sure if I paid for the full details it would also back up the fact that Grattans have not followed correct financial protocol to set up this account.

I them moved to the topic of compensation with them. Back in July 2012, Barclaycard demonstrated some appalling customer service and broke several promises they made to me when resolving my complaint with them, so they sent me £150 as a final compensation figure, which I accepted.

When discussing with Grattans, I stated that if I was offered £150 last year, then I would be looking for more now due to their incompetence. I stated that with the credit card I had applied for (now twice) I would have saved approx. £100 in cashback from shopping and petrol (and that was rough calculations only based on our fortnightly shop and fortnightly petrol fill ups - and didn't include incidental shopping and petrol).

I also said that on my credit file, a debt collection agency has searched for me 3 times this year and this will have adversely affected my credit too.

Looking at the Financial Ombudsman guidelines it states £50-£100 per day for resolving these matters but not more than £10 per hour, I would state that it has taken me roughly 1 whole day to write letters, make several phonecalls to Grattans (some of which have lasted nearly 1 hour), photocopy paperwork, pay for postage etc.

I was therefore wondering whether you would accept their 'final' offer of £250?? They state in their letter that they uphold my complaint which surely admits they are at fault too?

I would welcome thoughts on whether further time and effort (trawling through 12 months of bank statements to fully calculate material loss due to rejection of credit card - although I am sure it would increase the £100 approx. I would have saved) will ultimately lead to a successful claim against them and a higher compensation figure??

Many Thanks

Jodie

Comments

• izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the final offer of £250 is fair, assuming they have removed all trace of any account, credit search, and adverse credit related to the fraudulent activity from your credit file, too.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would bite their hand off.

Can you prove that the reason for the credit card rejection was due to that credit file marker?

Not an assume but actual proof (ie the CC supplier has told you as such in writing)
  • geordiepip
    geordiepip Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have actual proof, but considering I've never been refused credit before, and have nothing on my credit file which could prevent me from getting the card - well, apart from the fictitious Grattans account!

I know its an assumption but its a pretty strong one.
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That wouldnt matter, you dont know why the CC was refused, it might be that you just didnt match their profile, lenders use scoring mechanisms which are kept a closely guarded secret.

A part of it is your credit file but its not solely based on that by a long shot.

Im actually surprised they are agreeing to your claim of material loss (or nare they just offering you a goodwill gesture which isnt based on that?)
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems like compensation culture lust for more cash if you want more than £250, that's a great offer. Take it.
  • audigex
    audigex Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    Subtract the cost of the calls from £250.

Work out the number of hours you've spent. Divide the result of the last sum by that and see what your hourly rate would be. Decide if that's worth your time.

Don't factor the cashback into your calculations, as you can't be sure that was their fault.

It sounds to me like you've got a decent deal.
    "You did not pull yourself up by your bootstraps. You were lucky enough to come of age at a time when housing was cheap, welfare was generous, and inflation was high enough to wipe out any debts you acquired. I’m pleased for you, but please stop being so unbearably smug about it."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure