Options
124»

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »

As I understand it "interchangeability" as you call it which is also known as "interoperable" is already happening and is scheduled to complete by mid-2019. But so far the word is that only two-thirds of SMETS1 smart meters will be converted and the remaining one-third staying dumb after a switch to a different supplier.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/10/one-third-of-smart-meters-at-risk-of-never-being-switchable-/

The article says that the Govt. will "require" ~ 8 million SMETS1 meters to be managed by the DCC - as Hengus has pointed out in earlier post , this will require a technical solution which doesn't appear to currently exist.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 November 2018 at 10:23AM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    The article says that the Govt. will "require" ~ 8 million SMETS1 meters to be managed by the DCC - as Hengus has pointed out in earlier post , this will require a technical solution which doesn't appear to currently exist.

But no proof to support that was provided. Do you have that proof? What "technical solution" are you referring to? I have already provided a link on MSE which supports what I say. There are also numerous links to be had if you Google it including the consultation document from the government.

As the MSE article states the update of SMETS1 meters to make them compatible with the new DCC depends on co-operation by meter manufacturers but not all manufacturers are likely to be updated with the existing new software mainly because the existing new software will not work with all meters.

The question is not whether SMETS1 meters will be updated but when they will be updated.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    But no proof to support that was provided. Do you have that proof? what "technical solution" solution are you referring to? I have already provided a link on MSE which supports what I say. There are also numerous links to be had if you Google it including the consultation document from the government.

As the MSE article states the update of SMETS1 meters to make them compatible with the new DCC depends on co-operation by meter manufacturers but not all manufacturers are likely to be updated with the existing new software mainly because the existing new software will not work with all meters.

The question is not whether SMETS1 meters will be updated but when they will be updated.

I give up - you believe the b**ls**t coming from the Govt. :rotfl:
    As someone who has watched many IT projects get abandoned before coming to fruition, I'll retain my cynicism :)
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I give up - you believe the b**ls**t coming from the Govt. :rotfl:
    As someone who has watched many IT projects get abandoned before coming to fruition, I'll retain my cynicism :)

I don't "believe" anything at all. I'm going by published proof provided by interested parties, meter manufacturers and the government. If you "believe" what you say is true lets see your proof ROFL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure