Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    937carrera wrote: »
    That makes me so sad. :(

Why didn't you change your marketing preferences so that your utility supplier couldn't harass you ?

You can still cancel if it isn't installed :)

It is not deemed to be marketing. Ofgem has placed an obligation on all suppliers to re-engage with consumers that say 'no'.

Quote: While consumers are not obliged to have a smart meter installed, suppliers should consider appropriate re-contact strategies based on customers’ preferences, contact history and reasons for not previously accepting a smart meter. Overly repetitive and coercive approaches to consumer engagement, as opposed to innovative and tailored re-contact strategies, can be counterproductive to the successful achievement of the rollout obligations. Unquote

As Ofgem is fining suppliers that fail to achieve their roll out targets, then we can all expect ongoing approaches from our suppliers.
  • 937carrera
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    While consumers are not obliged to have a smart meter installed, suppliers should consider appropriate re-contact strategies based on customers’ preferences, contact history and reasons for not previously accepting a smart meter. Overly repetitive and coercive approaches to consumer engagement, as opposed to innovative and tailored re-contact strategies, can be counterproductive to the successful achievement of the rollout obligations. Unquote

My mistake to talk about marketing preferences. I should have written contact preferences.

If permission for phone contact has not been given, then under GDPR I would expect utility suppliers to respect that.

I take the time to manage my contact preferences and don't get phone contact from my suppliers, and only very very rarely from "marketers".
  • System
    Options
    My mistake to talk about marketing preferences. I should have written contact preferences.

If permission for phone contact has not been given, then under GDPR I would expect utility suppliers to respect that.

I take the time to manage my contact preferences and don't get phone contact from my suppliers, and only very very rarely from "marketers".

Quote: But those who have rejected the offer can still be harassed despite GDPR as the letters and emails are classed as “service communications” as opposed to unwanted marketing, which should be largely eliminated by the regulations. Unquote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/gas-electric/customers-can-still-hounded-suppliers-smart-meters-despite-gdpr/
  • 937carrera
    Options
    ...and elsewhere in the same article it says this

Energy UK, the industry trade body, said anyone who didn’t want to be contacted about smart meters should speak to their supplier and make their feelings clear.
    A spokesman said: “Energy suppliers work hard to protect customers' data, follow their preferences where these have been expressed and to ensure they comply with all the relevant rules and regulations on data protection.”

nPower used the "we've made an appointment" approach. I simply viewed that as an unsolicited communication, and consequently felt absolutely no obligation to reply or acknowledge.

When the guy turned up he was send packing (firmly, but politely).

Standing up works, I received no more communications.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Without regard to whether frequent communications are "harassing" or not it isn't clear why, if people don't wish a smart meter they don't simply ignore the communications and turn anyone away from their front doorstep. Personally I have no problem having one but only once they start on ones that won't go dumb if I change supplier. Until then anyone arriving on the doorstep will be treated as other cold callers such as Jehovah's Witnesses (which in my case is icy civility but a firm no) and any mail binned.
  • System
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    Without regard to whether frequent communications are "harassing" or not it isn't clear why, if people don't wish a smart meter they don't simply ignore the communications and turn anyone away from their front doorstep. Personally I have no problem having one but only once they start on ones that won't go dumb if I change supplier. Until then anyone arriving on the doorstep will be treated as other cold callers such as Jehovah's Witnesses (which in my case is icy civility but a firm no) and any mail binned.

A personal view. There is a conflict between the Government’s stated policy and what it actually wants to achieve. The Government wants us all to have smart meters but I suspect that it knows two things:

1. It is not physically possible to fit every home with a smart meter by 2020.

2. Once there are more smart meters in homes than dumb, and tariffs favour smart meters, then consumer resistance will fade away.

Why would any Government want to ‘pxxx off’ voters by making something mandatory when it will probably happen come what may over time? Meanwhile, to keep the pressure on, the Government gets suppliers to agree smart meter rollout targets and fines them if they fail.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »

2. Once there are more smart meters in homes than dumb, and tariffs favour smart meters, then consumer resistance will fade away.

Starting to happen to some extent already, BUT won't get much penetration until interchangeability happens. eg Company A fits SMETS1 meters as a condition of an "advantageous" tariff. After the fixed term expires,Company A no longer offer a competitive tariff but Company B does,BUT ONLY IF you haven't already got smart meters!

It's anti competitive as it stands now.
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That makes me so sad. :(

Why didn't you change your marketing preferences so that your utility supplier couldn't harass you ?

You can still cancel if it isn't installed :)

Makes me sad too I don't like giving in but I've been bombarded by 2 providers in succession and I just got sick of being angry and frustrated at being bothered and decided same would happen when i switch again so no point in cancelling just get it done
  • 937carrera
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Starting to happen to some extent already, BUT won't get much penetration until interchangeability happens. eg Company A fits SMETS1 meters as a condition of an "advantageous" tariff. After the fixed term expires,Company A no longer offer a competitive tariff but Company B does,BUT ONLY IF you haven't already got smart meters!

... and that'll be just before the time when domestic customers start getting forced onto time variable or half hourly tariffs.

You think it's difficult working out which supplier is cheapest at the moment :exclamati
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 November 2018 at 9:40PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »

That is happening now but it's finite because eventually everyone who agrees to smart meters will have them and those left won't accept smart meters whatever the incentive. So therefore tariffs which include the obligation to have smart meters will cease to exist.

As I understand it "interchangeability" as you call it which is also known as "interoperable" is already happening and is scheduled to complete by mid-2019. But so far the word is that only two-thirds of SMETS1 smart meters will be converted and the remaining one-third staying dumb after a switch to a different supplier.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/10/one-third-of-smart-meters-at-risk-of-never-being-switchable-/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure