Options
2»

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    michiegirl wrote: »
    My 17 year old daughter is about to start learning to drive and we would like to take her out in our own car every now and again. Does anyone have any recommendations for a stand alone LEARNER driver insurance that I can use, separate to my own policy, as my own policy does not offer this for 17 year olds.

Admiral Learner.

When I used it 12 months ago there was quite big cashback to be had on (iirc) TopCashback
  • Jlo31
    Jlo31 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    foible wrote: »
    On my existing policy? Which was the context.

I have found that Veygo (part of Admiral, ho hum) who insured him as a learner (stand-alone policy, short term, in his name) also do "Car Sharing Insurance", which might do the trick. It works out roughly the same price/day as Admiral quoted me to add my son to my existing policy (I have largely given up trying to add him permanently!)

But with Veygo it looks very simple and flexible, I can insure for any period from one hour to 30 days at a go. It is set up to keep details on file, making it quick and easy to buy a day's (or whatever) insurance as and when with a few mouse clicks.

That would probably do, he is still at school, but it seemed a pity to say, "congrats on passing your test son, that means you can't drive any more!" At least like this he can drive occasionally at weekends, family trips, etc. And I don't risk my no claims!

We are in a similar situation and quote me happy (Aviva) won't add a 17 year old to my wife's policy so are also using veygo to to insure her. It seems to be the only car sharing insurance company that covers 17 years old that have passed their test. I used them for provisional insurance as well when my daughter was learning and they were very reasonable.

Just make sure you take photos of the car before the policy starts otherwise another £250 excess is loaded on.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jlo31 wrote: »
    We are in a similar situation and quote me happy (Aviva) won't add a 17 year old to my wife's policy so are also using veygo to to insure her. It seems to be the only car sharing insurance company that covers 17 years old that have passed their test. I used them for provisional insurance as well when my daughter was learning and they were very reasonable.

Just make sure you take photos of the car before the policy starts otherwise another £250 excess is loaded on.

The poster you quoted was from april, not been back since april so cant see they will be back to see your post.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jlo31 wrote: »

My insurance is due next month. For myself driving only, it will cost £235 with my 18 year old daughter as a named driver the cheapest quote is £1250, the next cheapest £2950
  • Kellybail
    Options
    We had the same problem young driver and the insurance was so expensive so we ended up taking out a policy where the excess was quite high and then we insured the excess with goodbyeexcess.com which made us feel better if there was ever an accident we wouldn't have to pay the 1k excess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure