xbox one NAT issues

Options
My sons xbox regularly has problems with connections on mulitplayer, normally turning it off at the mains sorts it out but I want to try to stop it happening in the first place.

How do I change the NAT to open? it is saying it is set to strict.

The xbox gets moved often from one house to another with a change of internet connections to go with this, could this be why it has so many issues?

Thanks

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who is your ISP ?

Is the console connected wirelessly or wired in both places ?

Some google results that might help

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=strict+nat+xnox+one&oq=strict+nat+xnox+one&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.6539j0j7&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Its plusnet at one house and BT at another, I don't know if it matters but one is fibre the other just standard.

I did try googling before posting but didn't really understand the links :o I will read through them again.
  • DCFC79
    Options
    Its plusnet at one house and BT at another, I don't know if it matters but one is fibre the other just standard.

I did try googling before posting but didn't really understand the links :o I will read through them again.

Maybe I should rephrase my question, how does the Xbox connect to the modem/router ? Wired or wireless
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Maybe I should rephrase my question, how does the Xbox connect to the modem/router ? Wired or wireless

Sorry I missed that question :o wireless at both houses.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My son has problems with his, in that he can be playing Black Ops, and it'll say on the game screen that the Nat is moderate, but when you go to the xbox settings without even exiting the game, it says it's open. A friend of his is having similar problems and they find it difficult to join each others game so it is a pain diagnosing where the fault lies and with which xbox. It did say it was moderate on the xbox settings once and a reboot sorted it.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • DCFC79
    Options
    Sorry I missed that question :o wireless at both houses.

Ive had a similar issue and cant recall how I resolved it, is wired an option whether its a long ethernet cable or using homeplugs like these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-V1-20-Powerline-Configuration-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514745109&sr=8-1&keywords=Home+plugs

1 plugsin at the nearest plug socket and the other near the router.

Home plugs that are pass through are better imo if your short on plugs as you can plug an item into the homeplug.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately with NAT issues its usually a case of following a lengthy troubleshooting process as there are many things which might be affecting it so many steps which might solve it.

This is MS's basic troubleshooter:
    https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/networking/nat-error-solution

Although I'd maybe advise to try avoid changing your router settings/opening ports if you have no clue what you're doing.

I actually had my NAT go from open to strict recently - ended up linking it with TP link powerlines into a different socket on my router to get it open.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • TheLastMongoose
    Options
    I might be out of date but I had major issues when I first got my xbox and after a lot of research I discovered it was all due to my using a BT homehub. If you have BT internet you need to go through a short process to make the two machines play nicely together.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I might be out of date but I had major issues when I first got my xbox and after a lot of research I discovered it was all due to my using a BT homehub. If you have BT internet you need to go through a short process to make the two machines play nicely together.

The second house has a BT homehub :( that might be the issue.

Can you remember how you resolved it?
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been googling again regarding this and found the following easy possible solutions (they might help others)

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/how-change-your-nat-type-on-xbox-one-3657187/

I don't feel confident messing around with router settings and it is correct what the article says that a hard reset at least in my case (turning the xbox off at the mains) seems to fix the issue, so I will be amending the start up so it re-starts from scratch each time to see if that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure