Travelling from Langkawi to Penang

Options
I wonder if any of you lovely people can help?

I am travelling to Malaysia, KL to Langkawi, on to Penang then back to KL.

All booked apart from getting from Langkawi to Penang. We haven't booked a flight so were looking at getting the ferry but I can't find out if it has to be booked or we just turn up.

Any help gratefully received! Thanks

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Might be worth reading the Tripadvisor reviews of the ferry trip, doesn't sound like the most pleasant journey!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g298283-d1514671-Reviews-Langkawi_Ferry-Langkawi_Langkawi_District_Kedah.html
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hmmm, I think for £20 I'll book a flight!

Thank you.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Train is another option

https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

I travelled on an overnight sleeper from Butterworth (Penang) to KL which was very cheap and confortable. Check seat 61 for up to date info as this was 20 years ago!
  • alwaysskint96
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Train is another option

I travelled on an overnight sleeper from Butterworth (Penang) to KL which was very cheap and confortable. Check seat 61 for up to date info as this was 20 years ago!

No trains on Langkawi or penang
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Train is another option

As stated in the OP:
    All booked apart from getting from Langkawi to Penang.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No trains on Langkawi or penang

Yes, but...

Langkawi is of course an island, served by two main ferry routes (as well as less frequent and reliable ferries to Penang and to Thailand). Both the main ferry ports on the mainland are a short bus ride from a railway station. I used this route to get to Butterworth, which is the railway station for Penang (it is the ferry terminal, and the ride takes a few minutes). My train ride, aboard what was called a KTM Commuter service, took about an hour and cost a little less than a pound. No opportunity to book in advance, and certainly no need.

Sadly, the sleeper service between Butterworth, KL and onward to Singapore seems to have passed into history.
  • stueyhants
    Options
    I did the ferry journey many years ago and it was fine. I was on a tight budget, but given the price of air tickets I’d probably take the flight now
  • alwaysskint96
    Options
    Yes, but...

Langkawi is of course an island, served by two main ferry routes (as well as less frequent and reliable ferries to Penang and to Thailand). Both the main ferry ports on the mainland are a short bus ride from a railway station. I used this route to get to Butterworth, which is the railway station for Penang (it is the ferry terminal, and the ride takes a few minutes). My train ride, aboard what was called a KTM Commuter service, took about an hour and cost a little less than a pound. No opportunity to book in advance, and certainly no need.

Sadly, the sleeper service between Butterworth, KL and onward to Singapore seems to have passed into history.

I will be doing that journey in a few weeks BUT if you are already on Langkawi you would need to go ferry train then another ferry to Penang which is much more inconvienent than either plane or direct ferry
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will be doing that journey in a few weeks BUT if you are already on Langkawi you would need to go ferry train then another ferry to Penang which is much more inconvienent than either plane or direct ferry

Yes, absolutely.

Only an extreme penny-pincher or an extreme rail fanatic would contemplate such a thing, but it is one way to avoid the poorly-reviewed direct ferry service.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stueyhants wrote: »
    I did the ferry journey many years ago and it was fine. I was on a tight budget, but given the price of air tickets I’d probably take the flight now

I did the ferry from Penang to Langkawi a few years ago and while the boat wasn't exactly luxurious it was certainly a much more interesting experience than hanging around airports. I would certainly do it again as there's always something special about arriving at a new destination by sea.

It's good to do both islands as they really couldn't be more different in atmosphere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure