Kettle/Toaster etc under kitchen cabinets

I’ve recently got a new kitchen and there are wall cabinets over all of the worktop so there is nowhere to put appliances that has clear space above. I’m worried that the steam and heat will damage the underneath of the cabinets. Is this likely? I tried moving the kettle out to the edge of the worktop before using it but the steam then hits the front of the cabinet doors.

Also, I’ve been told that heat will damage the worktop. Is that true? What do people use to cover it? I thought the purpose of a kitchen worktop was as a heat-proof surface. I have always set things directly from the oven onto it.

Comments

• moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have high gloss cupboards and worried about this issue.
    My kettle is at the end run of top cupboards where it meets the window so steam flows away from cupboard. My toaster lives under a cupboard but when in use I have to pull it out onto the draining board or on hob top where there is nothing above.
    I don't think the worktop would be affected by this.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Always used kettle and toaster under cabinets. never had any problems
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    moonpenny wrote: »
    My toaster lives under a cupboard but when in use I have to pull it out onto the draining board or on hob top where there is nothing above.

An electrical appliance on a drainer - The electricians would be having fits at the idea, and with good reason. There is a very real risk of electric shock, possibly fatal. So please, don't use a toaster on a drainer.

A toaster or kettle shouldn't damage a laminate worktop. If it does, then you either have a faulty appliance or a poor quality worktop.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • FabFifty
    FabFifty Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've used a kettle and a toaster on a worktop under wall cabinets for 20+years with no issue with either the cabinets or worktop.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    FreeBear wrote: »
    A toaster or kettle shouldn't damage a laminate worktop. If it does, then you either have a faulty appliance or a poor quality worktop.

With the worktops, it’s not the kettle and toaster I was wondering about. It’s hot baking trays/casserole dishes etc being placed on it.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Get yourself some mats - Something like this works well - https://www.lakeland.co.uk/73514/Zone-Denmark-Triangles-Silicone-Trivet-Large-%E2%80%93-Cool-Grey (other colours & types available)
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Our toaster is under cabinets. If you lay your head on the surface & look up you can see staining to the underside of the cupboard, so I don't lay my head on the surface & look up.

What worktop are you having? If it's quartz you can put just about anything on it without any problems, if it's wood I wouldn't put anything hot on it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    EssexExile wrote: »
    What worktop are you having? If it's quartz you can put just about anything on it without any problems, if it's wood I wouldn't put anything hot on it.

I’m not sure what it is. Laminate, I think.

Eta: The most common cheap type. Whatever that is.
  • I use a stove top kettle and have done for years since the mid 1990's when steam from my electric kettle peeled the front of the doors and made the laminate bubble (and it wasn't a cheap kitchen !!).

My toaster has sat on my work surface for years without incident (and I've never looked underneath the wall units to see what's there - dread to think!!).

I use trivets for anything hot which goes on either my work surfaces or wooden kitchen table - cost a few quid and worth their weight in gold!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Our toaster is under cabinets. If you lay your head on the surface & look up you can see staining to the underside of the cupboard, so I don't lay my head on the surface & look up.

Ditto :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business