Options
13»

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 November 2018 at 9:37AM
    Options
    Scart? how old is the Skybox? do you not have an HD connection on the SkyBox?

If not think you can get scart to HDMI converters for about £20,
    Or buy a used HD box, plenty around.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    If you have a phone or tablet you can use Chromcast to watch BTsport.
    The new ones are around £30.

Another option I think is Freeview but we would, I think need a new aerial and not sure if the BT rugby is available via this route.

Broadband is very slow and poor here where we live and BT have told us one of their boxes is not an option.

CC may not be an option.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    how slow is your bb? i can cast to tv with a 5mb connection
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    BT Sport is a subscription channel, so you won't get it with a Freesat box or tuner.
    You are really overthinking this. You can get a SCART to HDMI adaptor on ebay for £13. And dozens of newish Sky boxes from a tenner upwards.
    Since you are out of minimum term with Sky (not out of contract) and currently paying the rack rate, one phone call to cancel should result in a discounted rate and the offer of a new box FOC. You just have to ask.

Agree with all of the above excepting the adaptor (yes, it'll work but not worth the effort). An 2nd hand HD box would be much better, you should be able to just insert the viewing card and it will automatically pair up (no need to call Sky).

As said, you need to talk to Sky and tell them you're leaving due to the old box failing and not being compatible with a modern TV.

If you don't use multiroom and are happy with HD on your new TV rather than 4K then tell them you don't want the 'Sky Q Experience' which will remove the extra £12 a month charge. You should be able to get the 1TB Q box for a maximum of £20 a month for Entertainment plus £20 for the box and (if you pay it, I'd refuse) the £10 admin fee (not an installation fee).

If however you want to enjoy 4K TV then you'll have to pay the extra £12 a month plus you'll need the 2TB box as the 1TB doesn't support 4K. No idea whether they'll try and charge more than the £20 for that mind.

Have you logged into your Sky account online and looked at the offers for yourself?

I'm puzzled by the price you're paying however, £23.50 per month for the most basic Sky legacy package plus BT Sports is going to come to much more than that surely?.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a thought about changing to a Sky HD box. When I was with Sky 10 years or so ago when I changed to the HD box the Sky man installed the HD box with 2 feeds. So it maybe helpful to know whether the poster can just use a single feed with an HD box otherwise this option may not be possible.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cranford wrote: »
    Just a thought about changing to a Sky HD box. When I was with Sky 10 years or so ago when I changed to the HD box the Sky man installed the HD box with 2 feeds. So it maybe helpful to know whether the poster can just use a single feed with an HD box otherwise this option may not be possible.
    It's only the standard Sky box that had a single input, Sky+ boxes have 2. Even with a single feed you can still use an HD box, you just wont be able to record anything whilst watching another channel.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    BT sport will be available on Sky next year so what is this thread about ? https://www.sky.com/help/articles/get-bt-sport-on-sky
    Surely BT sport is available via the internet ?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure