PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house....scotland, and Capital gains enquiry

Options
apronedsamurai
apronedsamurai Posts: 78 Forumite
edited 11 October 2017 at 5:07PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi.

My mother is contemplating buying me a house.

She owns 2 properties, and we are in Scotland, and so we would be looking at 3% Stamp Duty (property is circa 90k).

However, I am concerned as to the potential capital gains liabilities that she would be liable for.

1) What if she bought the house for me, she died, and I subsequently sold the home after she died? I assume that I am liable for the CGT, given that I am the owner of the property.

2) If she bought the house, and the house was sold BEFORE she died...what would the potential CGT be?

3) I am on benefits. She suggested that I could be gifted the money, buy the house...but I figured this would nullify my benefit eligibility? Also think this might be illegal (certainly sounds rather legally questionable and so strongly discouraging from this option)

4) Finally. Is the tax free allowance allocated between CGT AND income tax...or is it one allowance for both CGT and IT

In any case, the house that my mother bought me for would be for the foreseeable future be MY main, principal home.

Thanks

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stamp Duty is no longer applicable in Scotland. Scottish purchases are subject to LBTT (Land and Buildings Transaction Tax).

https://www.revenue.scot/land-buildings-transaction-tax
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 5:46PM
    Options
    1) What if she bought the house for me, she died, and I subsequently sold the home after she died? I assume that I am liable for the CGT, given that I am the owner of the property.
    1. when she died the value of the house would be included in her estate for inheritance tax purposes. Her estate may or may not have to pay IHT depending on the size of the estate.
    CGT is not payable on death
    you would inherit the property at the value given to it for probate purposes when she died and as it is your main home you, as new owner, would be exempt from CGt when you sell given you say it will remain your main home
    2) If she bought the house, and the house was sold BEFORE she died...what would the potential CGT be?
    she would pay CGT on the gain in value between what she paid to buy and what she sells it for. Note if she sells it to you then tax law deals with the specific circumstance by requiring use of the market value, not what you paid her, so she cannot evade tax by selling to a "connected person" (ie you) at a discount
    use google to find out basic facts yourself...
    https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax
    3) I am on benefits. She suggested that I could be gifted the money, buy the house...but I figured this would nullify my benefit eligibility? Also think this might be illegal (certainly sounds rather legally questionable and so strongly discouraging from this option)
    I am no benefits expert but I think if you own your own main home then that is not counted as capital when collating how much money you have for means test purposes
    4) Finally. Is the tax free allowance allocated between CGT AND income tax...or is it one allowance for both CGT and IT
    they are separate allowances and have nothing to do with each other. If you have a capital gain you get a capital allowance - read the link above...
  • apronedsamurai
    Options
    Thank you!

Very helpful.

We don't have any desire to defraud.

We would like to maximise the allowances etc, but we are not looking to engage in tax evasion.

She would not sell to me, it is purely a case of Bank of Mummy buying her son a house as a gift.

My comment about the benefits was in relation to my mother giving ME the money...and then I used that capital to buy the house. My concern is that the moment the money hit my bank account, because it would be in excess of £16,000 would trigger the forfeiture of eligibility to state benefits.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would it not be best for your Mum to pay for the house, but it will be in your name? There is no gift tax in the UK, she is free to buy her child a house. There will be no capitals gain tax, as it is your PPR and never owned by your Mum.

It is no different to when people are given deposits by their parents, in this case, the 'deposit' will be 100%.

If your Mum were to die within 7 years of the gift, and her total estate was over £325k (including the house value) or £650k if she is / was married, then it could be taken into account but that is the only concern from a tax point of view.

My understanding is that the value of the house in which you live is not taken into account for means tested benefits, although I'm not an expert on all benefits, so other posters can help by correcting me if I am incorrect.
  • apronedsamurai
    Options
    Thats...what we wanted to do,

Would it not be best for your Mum to pay for the house, but it will be in your name?"

I just wanted to make sure we were in full compliance with Scottish/UK tax law and and cheating anyone :)
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My comment about the benefits was in relation to my mother giving ME the money...and then I used that capital to buy the house. My concern is that the moment the money hit my bank account, because it would be in excess of £16,000 would trigger the forfeiture of eligibility to state benefits.
    don't know - ask one of the benefits people
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You can legally be gifted the money to buy the house but why should you, after all I don't mind paying for everything you have, no point letting your mother do it for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure