PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No notice of works - renting

Options
Relative lives in a rented flat.
The two flats and an attached house are leasehold with one freeholder.
The flat relative lives in has an owner who rents it to my relative.
I believe this owner only owns her flat, no idea who owns the other two properties, May be the free holder.

Anyway my relative has come home tonight to scaffolding planks across the garden instead of the paved area that's usually there.
So loss of parking in a double yellow area.
Electricity meters are being replaced. Hence the digging up.

No notice was given to my relative at all.
I've told them there first port of call is their landlord. As the landlord should've informed them of the upcoming work.

But preliminary enquiries seem to say, the landlord also wasn't informed by the freeholder.

Relative is annoyed that no notice was given but am I right in saying all they can do is complain to landlord?

Thanks

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    This really is not worth getting in a flap about.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So they've lost their parking space w/o notice and all roads nearby are double yellows, and they shouldn't be annoyed????
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    Is the reason for the works just the electric meter? If so then I say it's the energy supplier.
  • Shelldean
    Options
    They're also concerned for the elderly neighbour, as the planks don't seem very safe.
  • Shelldean
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Is the reason for the works just the electric meter? If so then I say it's the energy supplier.

Yes just meters being changed.
    But surely someone should've warned the tenants?
  • Shelldean
    Options
    Can someone confirm my thoughts that the tenants can only complain to the landlord? It's not the tenants fault the landlord wasn't told. The landlord then complains to the free holder. Who in turn complains to the energy supplier?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shelldean wrote: »
    Can someone confirm my thoughts that the tenants can only complain to the landlord? It's not the tenants fault the landlord wasn't told. The landlord then complains to the free holder. Who in turn complains to the energy supplier?
    Prettty much, yes. That's the legal chain.

Though you could bypass peope for convenience.

How long will the work take? the energy company should know. If it's a few days, frankly the effort time and stress of pursuing this is not worth it.

Having said that, if the parking space is included in th tenancy agreement, I'd be interested in hearing the court judgement if tenant sued the landlord for parking ticket costs.....
  • Shelldean
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Prettty much, yes. That's the legal chain.

Though you could bypass peope for convenience.

How long will the work take? the energy company should know. If it's a few days, frankly the effort time and stress of pursuing this is not worth it.

Having said that, if the parking space is included in th tenancy agreement, I'd be interested in hearing the court judgement if tenant sued the landlord for parking ticket costs.....

No idea how long the work will take, they literally came home to a mess. In fact my relative isn't actually home yet. But their partner is.

No idea how they can find out how long it will be as they both leave for work at 6.30 and first isn't home till 5.30 and other usually about 7.
    So can't ask the workmen.

The workmen have also taken the proverbial, but using the recycling box as a plant pot!!!!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    These may be emergency works by the Electric Company and no time to contact all concerned.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Shelldean
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    These may be emergency works by the Electric Company and no time to contact all concerned.

Don't think so as they was warned when they moved in the meter would have to be changed. They moved in last August.
    But they expected some notice even just a little bit of notice, before work commenced
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure