December universal credit help

Options
I was hoping someone could help.
I've just realised that both my November And December wages will fall in one assessment period meaning the universal credit I will receive will undoubtedly be zero.
This will cause me huge problems in January.
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to change assessment period dates or if I would be able to ask employer to change my pay date. I work for the NHS and they usually pay me on the 28th of each month, this month they are paying on the 23rd (which is my assessment period cut off date)
I will phone HR first thing on Monday morning but was hoping someone had some advice to put my mind at ease before then.
Thanks!!

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Squirre898 wrote: »
    I was hoping someone could help.
    I've just realised that both my November And December wages will fall in one assessment period meaning the universal credit I will receive will undoubtedly be zero.
    This will cause me huge problems in January.
    I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to change assessment period dates or if I would be able to ask employer to change my pay date. I work for the NHS and they usually pay me on the 28th of each month, this month they are paying on the 23rd (which is my assessment period cut off date)
    I will phone HR first thing on Monday morning but was hoping someone had some advice to put my mind at ease before then.
    Thanks!!
    You won't be able to change your assessment period for UC. Not sure if your employer can do that either but i'm assuming not.

If your UC is reduced to zero then your claim maybe closed. If this happens then you'll be able to make a rapid reclaim by logging into your journal and your assessment periods will remain the same. The following month your UC payment will be higher if you don't have an wages during that assessment period so you won't be out of pocket.
  • Squirre898
    Options
    I get approx £1300 a month in universal credit. The max I could claim when not receiving wages is £1950 so even if I do get that in January I think I'll be out of pocket by £700ish. I'll be in arrears for rent and child care.
    Stressed out.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 December 2019 at 4:51PM
    Options
    The fact that you are paid on the 23rd December does not matter provided your employer correctly reports the payment as paid on the usual payday - that is what they are supposed to do, This means that although you are actually paid on the 23rd you are treated as paid on the 28th as normal. HMRC has reminded employers of their obligations in this regard.

See pages 3 and 4 here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839773/English.pdf

It should only be a problem if your employer gets their reporting wrong. You could ring payroll next week and ask them to confirm that they will be reporting payday as 28th December even though they are paying you early.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Squirre898
    Options
    Thank you both so much for your replies.
    Calcotti, thanks a lot, this really gives me hope!! It makes so much sense and hopefully a big employer like an NHS Trust will follow this guidance, will still phone at 9am on Monday though!! Thank you for your help!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure