BBC 1 'Repossesed - Upsetting To Say The Least!

Options
Just watched a 'Tearful' documentery on BBC 1 - Repossesed.

Charted 3 couples who ended up in a 'Dire' situation at the hands of their Lenders.

Norman, The car salesman who battled on trying to make any money and had days to 'Abort' a repossesion order on his house.

Alan, The self - employed worker who had an offer of 165,000 turned down just days before he was told to hand the keys in!

Then Tim & Theresa who were quite lucky compared to the other 2 families, Being able to make an arrangement.

It was VERY moving to see these 'decent' people crying at letters they received some which was delivered by hand from the LCC as in 'Norman's case.

Even if they did have MPC they still would be liable to pay the arrears, Dependant on the Lender's criteria.

Norman was shown talking to someone (Bailiff)? and he got rather P****D off at their 'Cold' attitude, They told him there was accomodation at 265.00 or whatever?

He ended up giving them a mouthful, And I would as well.

How can these 'Bailiff's or whatever they are sleep at night.

Are they perfect??

Don't they allow for Anything?

I bet they (Bailiff's) have if ANY few social friends.Lol

What a 'Career' to choose - A Bailiff!!

When people NEED help, They NEED help and the lenders & their Bailiff friends seem to have no 'Allowance' whatsoever.

WE ARE ONLY PEOPLE AT THE END OF THE DAY.

WE HAVE TO LIVE IN A HOUSE.
Thomson 757 Man

Comments

• feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    It is clearly stated on all documentation..........

YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP
    REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE
  • BYALPHAINDIA
    Options
    Charming, I wander what your Job is?
    Thomson 757 Man
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    What does that have to do with it? if you had a car and didn't keep up the payments they would take that away.........Why do u think people should "buy" and not pay?
  • maggie5
    maggie5 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    as much as i dont agree with the way that SOME of the baliffs work i understand that they have to do a job, thats what they are employed to do. you wouldnt work in a shop and then refuse to take peoples money for their shopping.

you also have t remember that the baliffs have proberly heard all the excuses before and therefore dont know who is telling the truth and who is lying.

i also thought that baliffs were the last step in recovering debt, so surely the people had the chance to talk or come to a agreement with the original lenders or maybe im wrong:confused:

please remember that these are just peoples jobs, it doesnt nessacerly mean that they are bad people
    has been around for a while but always learning,
  • creased-leach
    creased-leach Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    Options
    Oddly enough, I made a comment to the OH earlier that it must be "boomtime for bailiffs" The resulting conversation revealed that he couldn't do the job- but I could. Not saying I'd enjoy it, but I could do it- as nicely as possible, of course.
    Only dead fish go with the flow...
  • BYALPHAINDIA
    Options
    Don't like the sound of all this - I'm out of the DEN!
    Thomson 757 Man
  • Darth_Marty
    Options
    Proper Bailiffs, not these credit card collecting clowns, are extremely helpful and will do as much as is possible to help you avoid repossesion/jail. They really are misrepresented by these !!!!ing oafs from assorted debt collection agencies. Its those !!!!ers that need a hiding.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Charted 3 couples who ended up in a 'Dire' situation at the hands of their Lenders.

Hold on a moment. They dont get into the position of not being able to pay the mortgage because of their lender. The situation is a result of their own doing or consequences of other things that dont involve the lender.

Repossession is a nasty event that no-one wins out of. Its distressing for the homeowners and you wouldnt wish it on anyone. So, I make the following comments in a cold, blunt way but note what i have just said.
    How can these 'Bailiff's or whatever they are sleep at night.

Because they have a job to do and are paid to do it.
    Don't they allow for Anything?

There are guidelines but ultimately they are acting in the interests of someone else.
    I bet they (Bailiff's) have if ANY few social friends.Lol

Thats not a nice thing to say.
    When people NEED help, They NEED help and the lenders & their Bailiff friends seem to have no 'Allowance' whatsoever.

Trying to get help at that stage is far too late. Its the stage of last resort. The time to get help is as early as possible. Not after the court have granted a repossession or the bailiffs are instructed.
    WE ARE ONLY PEOPLE AT THE END OF THE DAY.

WE HAVE TO LIVE IN A HOUSE

And you have to pay for that house. If you cant then you can rent instead.

There is no God given right to own your own house. Its an aspiration that carries risks. Risks that are known about before you take out a mortgage. You can largely protect yourself from those risks if you choose to do so. Or you can choose not to do so and hope one of the risks does not occur. If one of them does occur and you chose not to cover that risk then its not someone else's fault.

Its not nice and you dont want it to happen but it is a consequence of actions taken. Maybe deciding to have another holiday in spain, get a new kitchen or an extra Mcdonalds a week during the good times rather than save for an emergency fund and mortgage protection just in case there are bad times.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The man was talking to the council on the phone - not the county court bailiffs. It wouldnt matter if he did 1 eviction a day or 10 he would still get paid the same. The bailiffs are really helpful (ours are!) they will tell the defendant the procedure to make an application to the court to suspend the eviction and will even take the forms out to them. They are also in touch with the homeless section at the council so as soon as a warrant is issued for eviction the homeless are notified straight away.

x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    This 'documentary' just highlights how some* people end up in a mess through either greed or ignorance.

One couple stated that the banks were 'throwing money at them'. However, later it was noted that their lender is GE Money. If you are borrowing from GE Money you are doing so because other banks will not lend to you, not because they are throwing money at you!

The couple that had the offer on their house refused by the lender decided to move to rented accom. The property that they had chosen to move to would certainly not have been cheap. I can only assume that they were planning on claiming LHA, or planning to get into more debt. :rolleyes:

The third couple were given twenty eight days to vacate their property. The man said something along the lines of 'The judge looked at us like we were dogs ... If I met him in the street I'd hit him'. Looks like the judge was a good judge of character! ;)

Classic comment of the night has to go to one of the women, who referred to her home as 'bricks and water'. No wonder they are in negative equity! :p

* I am not saying this is the case for everyone, but it was for those featured in the programme.
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport