Origin Broadband - any good

Options

Comments

• Origin-Broadband
    Origin-Broadband Posts: 69 Organisation Representative
    Options
    I don't usually post but have found origin very slow and unhelpful. Originally signed up in December and took 5 weeks to activate, supposedly this was due to the festive period. Speeds were quite slow for streaming but to be expected as not using fibre. Just moved house and notified them in advance, couple of weeks in and they are still processing my order with no idea of when the line will be live. Not allowed to cancel without paying the full 12 month contract and get charged £30 for the price ledge of moving (this is standard). Currently paying for no service. Have spoken to other providers who could have me up and running in 2 weeks so not sure if delay. Can't wait till December when I can leave, which is actually January as they charge you full cost for the first month but don't tell you that on sign up. I'm sure other providers aren't great but I would certainly stay clear. Customer services promise to call you back, never do and I usually get transferred to at least 3 people. There are lots of other deals available, I'd pay the extra money!

Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to apologise for the fact you are having speed issues. This can be due a number of things and without looking into your account and performing any checks such as how far away you are from the exchange, or what settings your router is tuned into.

If I could please ask that you email us - mse@origin-broadband.co.uk and we will look into this as a matter of urgency.

Kind Regards,

Origin Complaints
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • HERMITT
    HERMITT Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    don`T, I`M WITH THEM AND WISHED I WAS NOT. I paid a year upfront for fiber. Did-not go live for three weeks after the date i should have. They are still charging me for a per-portion of the line rental, i`v paid a year up-front. My phone bills are horrendous, two calls to China and two to Spain i did-not make cost me £18 pounds, last months calls cost £36 pounds on top of broadband. I still after three months and many phone calls cant get into the portal to check on what they are charging me. I`m going to cut my loses and move to another supplier. Hope this helps.
  • HERMITT
    Options
    MSE have no liability, nor any ability to "do something".

That seems rather an expensive over reaction.

Suggest you sign up to Origin and see how you feel after three months. I`v been with them for three months and wish i could leave, but paid a year up-front.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 June 2017 at 3:07PM
    Options
    HERMITT wrote: »
    Suggest you sign up to Origin and see how you feel after three months. I`v been with them for three months and wish i could leave, but paid a year up-front.
    My point was that MSE have no liability and legal action is expensive. I made this point on the 12th April to another poster who declared MSE should "do something" and that he was seeing a lawyer.

I'm not about to sign up to Origin Broadband, thanks anyway..
  • HERMITT
    Options
    Question; Paid up-front for a year, been with them for three months, How do i stand if i wanted to cut my losses and leave?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Question; Paid up-front for a year, been with them for three months, How do i stand if i wanted to cut my losses and leave?
    You won't get a refund.
  • HERMITT
    Options
    I don`t want a refund, but where do i stand about cutting my losses and moving?
  • highland_lass
    Options
    DO NOT TOUCH

WORSE THAN THE OLD DODGY DIAL UP AND ATROCIOUS ATROCIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE

Paid up front for a year for broadband, line rental, calls then discovered no caller display - they then sent a bill saying they were taking this amount of money (a full months rental for everything + charge for caller display)
    I finally got through to call centre to advise them this figure was incorrect - with plenty of time for them to stop/alter payment - needless to say THEY DID NOT STOP THIS AMOUNT COMING FROM MY BANK
    On finally getting through to them once I realised they had taken this amount out of my account I contacted them and they advised they could not reinstate my money until nearly two weeks - I asked how can you take my money over the phone but you can not return my money the same way.
    After speaking to the COMMUNICATION OMBUDSMAN about the atrocious customer service and them also taking this money was advise to get in touch with my bank to raise an Indemnity Claim and to cancel my direct debit with them.
    They have finally returned the money they overtook but have still to sort it out

DO NOT TOUCH UNLESS YOU WISH TO SPEAK AND DEAL WITH PEOPLE WHO DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AS A CUSTOMER.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don`t want a refund, but where do i stand about cutting my losses and moving?
    Of course you can move.

However, as I said in the first response, you won't get a refund of your advance payment.
  • snozzler29
    Options
    hi i am new to the group and hope this is in the correct place

I joined up with origin broadband and 3 and a half weeks after my activation date i still had no internet access due to problems with the engineers they sent out either not turning up or not doing the work.Finally 4 weeks after my activation date i got a DSL light and the internet worked but it became clear that the router they sent me was not 5ghz capable which i was told it woudl be when joining up on the phone and is pretty much useless to me as 2.4ghz only delivers 20 mb over wireless depending on how well the signal can get through the walls making my 80mb connection pointless.I have tod them today that i am not happy and if they dont issue me a 5ghz router free of charge i will be leaving the contract and they say i can be held to the full 18 month contract.I spent 4 hours on hold on one occasion and have spent many hours on hold trying to sort this problem out as they dont have any contact informtion on tehir website for me to email them just a customer portal that wont allow me to register as the link they sent expired while i was waiting over 3 weeks for my internet to activate and teh request a new link feature dosnt work as the website is glitchy which they also claim to be working on.I have requested multiple times for them to send me my landline phone number , account details etc to no avail and they have now twice failed to call me back when they say the will.Its as though they are deliberatly dragging things out as long as they can so i cant walk away from the contract. Do i have grounds for walking away and if i end up been taken to county court by them would a judge accept my argument that over 3 weeks after my activation date with no service and substandard equipment provided when promised better as good reason.Also how do i tell them i dont wish to continue my contract as they have no means other than telephone that work to speak to them.They ignore facebook messages , remove unflattering reviews and comments from social media and despite asking still have not set up my login details on their customer portal thing which from what i read they also ignore.

Thanks for any advice or help i just want to use a more established company with up to date technology
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure