Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• stevechelt
    stevechelt Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    Do you mean a meter that runs backwards when generation exceeds consumption? If so you really ought to 'fess up and get it changed. I ran with a backwards ruining meter for a few years, despite having disclosed it up front. They eventually changed it when I chased them and I wasn't charged for any historical under-billing although the electricity bills are obviously a bit higher now.

I do. I did disclose it up front when the panels were installed, in fact I told the energy company at that time twice, both times I was totally ignored.

Then when I switched the next year (2015) I told the new energy company. They said I ought to have a new meter, but it was up to me and the cost was £80. I declined and no more was said.

I switched again in 2016 to a small but competitive supplier, they were also not interested when I told them, and on their website they openly stated that they were not installing 'smart meters' as they felt the technology was not mature enough.

Early this year I switched again to another new and even more competitive supplier and seeing that they also do not install smart meters I have not told them. They will have noticed my last two negative readings, but seem to have ignored them as happened in 2017 with my last supplier.

Also earlier this year our power supply, which was on a looped supply, was moved to a single supply, due to the fitting of a car charging station last year. A manager at the local power distribution company happens to be a neighbour's son and he called around to see my car and check if the work was done tidily as he had arranged it. He also has solar PV with an 'old style' meter like mine and suggested I wait as long as possible before having my meter changed. Apparently most of the smart meters already installed will need changing again as they will not support the standards that are still being developed. V2G (vehicle-to-grid) being one of the standards that is being worked on and will require new metering hardware. (This is just what I have been told, I am no expert!)

Sorry for the long post! (Looks like another bumper day again today, would be nice to have some rain though, preferably at night!)
    Cheltenham. 3.90 Kwp system. SSE = 2.73kwp (14 x 195w panels), WWS = 1.17kwp (6 x 195w panels). 30 degree slope.
    EREV car (Ampera) & eBike!
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stevechelt wrote: »
    I do. I did disclose it up front when the panels were installed, in fact I told the energy company at that time twice, both times I was totally ignored.

Then when I switched the next year (2015) I told the new energy company. They said I ought to have a new meter, but it was up to me and the cost was £80. I declined and no more was said.

I switched again in 2016 to a small but competitive supplier, they were also not interested when I told them, and on their website they openly stated that they were not installing 'smart meters' as they felt the technology was not mature enough.

Early this year I switched again to another new and even more competitive supplier and seeing that they also do not install smart meters I have not told them. They will have noticed my last two negative readings, but seem to have ignored them as happened in 2017 with my last supplier.

Also earlier this year our power supply, which was on a looped supply, was moved to a single supply, due to the fitting of a car charging station last year. A manager at the local power distribution company happens to be a neighbour's son and he called around to see my car and check if the work was done tidily as he had arranged it. He also has solar PV with an 'old style' meter like mine and suggested I wait as long as possible before having my meter changed. Apparently most of the smart meters already installed will need changing again as they will not support the standards that are still being developed. V2G (vehicle-to-grid) being one of the standards that is being worked on and will require new metering hardware. (This is just what I have been told, I am no expert!)

Sorry for the long post! (Looks like another bumper day again today, would be nice to have some rain though, preferably at night!)
    Hi

It's nothing to do with smart-meters, you need to inform your supplier that the meter is reversing and that they should replace it with one that works correctly with solar PV ... as long as you have a record then what they do is up to them, however, to ensure that you have proof of disclosure you should at least use e-mail ...

Regarding the 'old style meter' ... the vast majority of analogue meters have a non-reverse ratchet mechanism to prevent the unit running backwards, perhaps the guy you mention isn't aware that your particular model of meter can run backwards ... just be aware that the energy suppliers you have used are totally within their rights to reassess previous readings and look to retrospectively collect missed revenue if they believe that they haven't been informed of the issue and you have no proof to support your position ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another Maiden!

6.77 O's

Warmer today so lower peak.

2nd best day of the month! :D
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maiden+0.75 O's here today:T

FIT payment for May and June will equate to over 5% of total outlay:j
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A "mere" 6.16 Os for me today. I guess I shouldn't complain about a Maiden!
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    6.9 Os today. Next 4 weeks look fine and dry!!!!
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And 6.8 O's here today, eleven Maidens on the trot. Phew!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • countryman_2
    countryman_2 Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    Still more sunshine but the intense heat kept me knocking on the gates of Heaven... 6.71 O's today.
    4kw PV fitted 4th July 2014 (Green Energy NW £5600). WSW facing, 30 deg Pitch, Unshaded, Samil Solar River inverter, 16 Solar World Mono panels, Iboost on Immersion Heater. located in mid Lincolnshire.
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    A "mere" 6.16 Os for me today. I guess I shouldn't complain about a Maiden!
    ajbell wrote: »
    6.9 Os today. Next 4 weeks look fine and dry!!!!
    And 6.8 O's here today, eleven Maidens on the trot. Phew!
    Just to make a change in the last three posts; a/an Hawaii here + 1.88 O's..:beer::beer::j:rotfl::rotfl:..coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • countryman_2
    countryman_2 Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    Just to make a change in the last three posts; a/an Hawaii here + 1.88 O's..:beer::beer::j:rotfl::rotfl:..coffee.gif

Missed the fourth by a mere minute :p :rotfl: :T :rotfl:
    4kw PV fitted 4th July 2014 (Green Energy NW £5600). WSW facing, 30 deg Pitch, Unshaded, Samil Solar River inverter, 16 Solar World Mono panels, Iboost on Immersion Heater. located in mid Lincolnshire.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback