insurers taking the biscuit

Options
So then;

I recently had my phone stolen. I send all the necessary claim documentation to my insurer (Thamesbank insurance services via homeinsurer.co.uk). I get an email responses from them: "Your insurer tells us that your insurance expired so we can't proceed with the claim". I send them a screenshot of my banking history showing a premium leaving my account one day before they said it expired and two days before the item was stolen. The policy is on auto-renew. The premium amount is exactly the same as it was last year, which also included gadget insurance (although I didn't receive the policy files this year like I did last year). Homeinsurer email me again; "Your insurer tells us that only the home insurance renewed, not the gadget insurance"

I know some insurance companies can be notorious for trying to wriggle out of paying claims, but this seems somewhat blatant. Any advice? From what I read I can take this to a financial ombudsman service if they don't play ball. I've asked the claims company for the contact details of thamsbank directly in the meantime.

I'm trying to claim for a smartphone; as we all know they're not cheap!

Many thanks for any and all responses ;)

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can only complain to the Financial Ombudsman when you have complained to your insurer and received their final response (or they have ignored your complaint for 8 weeks).

What did your insurer say when you contacted them?
  • EasyLay
    EasyLay Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can only complain to the Financial Ombudsman when you have complained to your insurer and received their final response (or they have ignored your complaint for 8 weeks).

What did your insurer say when you contacted them?

still waiting to hear back from them, just musing on my options in the meantime
  • jasminum89
    jasminum89 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I would try to contact the consumer helpline
  • EasyLay
    Options
    So the insurance company aren't playing ball. They changed my policy a few months ago so it excluded gadget insurance, they say they sent notification but I checked all my records and didn't receive anything. In fact I haven't yet received the new policy (I received it last year by email). I don't understand why they would auto-renew a policy which has changed so fundamentally, shouldn't they get me to sign again to continue?

I've already sent my case to the financial ombudsman but haven't heard back yet.

This is so frustrating, I've been with this company for years and this is my first claim. The policy renewed (without gadget insurance) two days before the item was stolen. I was hoping they might take all this into account and honour the claim.

Is there anything else I can do?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you saying they changed your old policy without you knowing about it?

Are you saying you didn't receive any documentation about renewing your insurance?
  • EasyLay
    Options
    Are you saying they changed your old policy without you knowing about it?

Are you saying you didn't receive any documentation about renewing your insurance?

They said they sent me notification that the policy was being changed, but I have checked my records and can't find anything, either by email or postal letter. The policy was on auto-renew, I would have thought in the case of it being downgraded in such a fundamental way they would at least wait until they received confirmation from me before renewing it. I still haven't received details of the new policy, my records show I received this last year by email around the same time.

It's frustrating, if I buy something on ebay the onus is on the seller to make sure I receive the item before the transaction is complete. They can't turn round and blame it on the royal mail and wash their hands of it if I don't receive the item.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    In order to escalate this to the FOS you must first follow the insurers complaint procedure.

After making a complaint they have 8 weeks to reply. If they ignore you or are unhappy with the reply then you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure