julicorn's journey

Options

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks again beanie!

I found out how much the bonus is, and it's quite a bit more than I was hoping for! Which means I'll be able to make an even bigger overpayment this month, after pay day on Monday. I'm so excited! We also set up goals to fund another surprise holiday and a holiday to Japan next year, and have started putting money away for those.

Last weekend was pretty spendy, because I went on a weekend away for a hen do in Bristol. I tried to watch my spending, and did so pretty successfully, but they still ended up splitting the amount spent on food at the end of the weekend evenly (although I'm vegan and got barely any of it, so basically just paid for them to eat bacon and eggs every morning plus tons of cake, while eating mainly food I had brought along. Bit annoying, but I don't really feel like kicking up a fuss. Gotta pick your battles!).
    On Friday, we're going to Germany for a wedding, and then will go on a little holiday with my parents. I know I said March was unusual because of lots of little trips, but maybe there is just not such a thing as a 'usual' month. :rotfl:
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • Runders
    Runders Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Julicorn,

I've just caught up on your diary and I have to say you have peaked my interest with YNAB , is there a subscription charge to it? I currently have an excel budget that I fill out, but I am renowned for ignoring the actual 'Budget' part :eek::rotfl::(

Japan is an amazing country to visit, I went to Tokyo for 3 weeks about 10 years ago (:eek:) now. I had the most amazing time. The people were great, there was so much to see and I loved all the street food etc. I took a course of Japanese classes before I went and I found that just having a few sentences etc. was really useful, but in the big cities most people speak English.
    MFW Start:[STRIKE] Sep 2014 - £110,844[/STRIKE], July 2019 New Home £190,995 :eek:
    Current: £82,999.69, £190,972.18, £188,091.57, £180,026.25
    2021MFW #97 OP Goal £296.36/£3000
    2020MFW #97 OP Goal £3104.09.09/£3000
    2019MFW #109 OP Goal £1024.99/£1000
  • julicorn
    Options
    Hi Runders, thanks for checking in! Yes, there is a subscription charge for YNAB, I think it works out as £5/month, but is an annual payment. At first I thought this was pretty steep, but I now honestly believe it's going to save me waaayyy more money then that, so I'm definitely going to pay for it once my trial runs out (you can get a free 3 month trial, I would really recommend checking it out). What's really good about it is because you really give every bit of money a specific job, it makes you question each choice - e.g. should I order pizza now, if that means having to take some money out of the home maintenance budget? There's also that weird phenomenon where I've felt like I had no money a few times (and therefore didn't buy something), although there's plenty of money in our accounts. I think it's something I've heard people call 'YNAB broke' before.

Great to hear you liked Japan too! It's been on our list for years, but we haven't managed to go yet. We're now aiming for October next year, around my birthday. I'd love to go then, autumn is meant to be beautiful over there. When did you go, if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping to start Duolingo Japanese some time before then to learn a few basics. I tried a little while back, and it escalated pretty quickly (as in: got very difficult), but then I didn't have a specific goal in mind.
  • julicorn
    Options
    Completely forgot to say that because of my bonus this month, I've managed to make a huge overpayment of £1700, bringing our total overpayments this month to £2200, and meaning that our remaining balance now starts with 195 :j :shocked: :j
  • IAAM
    IAAM Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Julicorn

Just read through your diary. Wow - what a fab OP last month. And I'm very impressed that you put your bonus towards it. (There must have been a tiny temptation to treat yourself with some of it and use the balance for the mortgage??)

Life in the South is SOOO expensive and it is frustrating getting so little space for such a big mortgage. We've bought a 2 bed house for £290,000 (£230k mortgage) and, it's ok for us but it isn't great for having family and friends over. Still, it is what it is and we are grateful that we've been able to buy.

I'm seeing how my little cash envelopes go over the next month but will remember the YNAB app if things don't go according to plan...
    Mortgage Balance: £162,615.84 (December 2022); £163,945 (November 2022)
    Current MF date: Feb 2032.  (Previously: Jan 2033)

Target MF date: May 2027
    (Overpayments needed to achieve this: £1,750pm!) 

Joint spend: £391.09 (Nov)
  • julicorn
    Options
    Hi IAAM! Thank you - weirdly, I wasn't all that tempted to put the bonus towards anything other than some savings goals and the mortgage. We are now actively saving towards several big holidays though, so I think in some weird way that's helping as well. I've just made a savings plan, and we might even be able to go on two holidays next year. Japan is definitely still on the cards, but we might also be able to go on a shorter trip in spring to New England as well. We'd love to visit New York again, but would also really like to head to Boston and Salem (and flights to Boston are really quite cheap, which is of course a bonus!).
    Before we bought our flat, we had quite a big declutter (over the course of a year or so), and that has made me a lot more wary of impulse buys in some strange way. I've not really found myself as drawn to clothes shopping for example as I was beforehand, and generally I think we're hoping to put more of our money towards experiences and generally things that last longer.

It sure is expensive down here, and I try to forget quite how expensive our flat was. Luckily it's still a nicer flat (and therefore feels like a step up) from the place we were renting previously. I'm still thinking we'll probably move again in 5 years or so, to get a bigger place - quite how much bigger we'll have to find out, but I reckon that's probably the driving force behind us putting so much into the overpayments at the moment. Seeing the we amount we owe go down, and the amount we OWN increase is hugely motivating to me. Also, we were literally at the top of what they would lend us based on our income, but we find ourselves being able to put away much more than just our standard mortgage payment each month (I guess the low interest rates also work in our favour in that respect), so I'd like to make the most of that while we can.

Best of luck with the envelopes, I think that sort of 0-based budgeting is just amazing! I reckon it's already saved us a lot of money this month, and looking at my overview, I think we'll be able to make another overpayment tomorrow. Exciting times! I also came up with a bit of a silly idea: I really like crafts, and I'm going to start a cross stitch that shows our mortgage being paid off, so just a cross for each £100 in reduced balance (with each month being a different colour, so we can kind of visualise the progress). Sounds a bit mad, but visual representations like that oddly really motivate me.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news on the bonus & that huge OP :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • julicorn
    Options
    Thanks beanielou! It's actually super motivating to get cheered on by you all (it's not exactly like I go around telling people about our mortgage overpayments, so it's nice to be able to get that support here in this forum instead :heart2: ).

I've just made our first July overpayment of £600. The aim at the moment is to overpay at least £1,200 per month (sounds mad actually, considering our regular payments of around £800 were at the top of our 'affordability', but I suppose they take rising interest rates into account). I figured it's best to pay as early as possible to save that teeny tiny bit more interest, and with the budget app and all that I'm pretty confident we won't need those £600 before payday.

In other news: it's too hot! My brain pretty much melted away at work. I think this is the hottest temperature I've experienced in Brighton. I should be cooking dinner right now, but can't face it - anything more than lying by the window in my underwear seems impossible right now :rotfl:
  • julicorn
    Options
    Aaaaaand I've just reached 100 posts as well! :beer: Feels like I only joined yesterday!
  • IAAM
    IAAM Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whoop! Well done Julicorn. You must feel thrilled about the OP.

I really like the idea of your cross stitch! I think a visual reminder of what you're achieving is a fab idea and will make those slightly harder days of saving easier to do.

Onwards and upwards.... :-)
    Mortgage Balance: £162,615.84 (December 2022); £163,945 (November 2022)
    Current MF date: Feb 2032.  (Previously: Jan 2033)

Target MF date: May 2027
    (Overpayments needed to achieve this: £1,750pm!) 

Joint spend: £391.09 (Nov)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure