MSE News: Avios rewards programme to close - customers to be transferred to the BA Executive Club

Options
13»

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Theoretically it should be (3). Anecdotedly, people are finding that a single avios has been added to their account to restart the clock as BA have no way of knowing the date of the last activity - so (2) maybe what is happening.

It is relatively easy to earn an Avios, buy something through the shopping portal.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Theoretically it should be (3). Anecdotedly, people are finding that a single avios has been added to their account to restart the clock as BA have no way of knowing the date of the last activity - so (2) maybe what is happening.

It is relatively easy to earn an Avios, buy something through the shopping portal.

Hi
    I managed to speak to the old Avios people and they told me it was from when I set up my BA account (so around June time).

To keep it simple I did what you suggested and just now I converted £2.50 of my Tesco vouchers into 600 BA Avios points which will be credited in the next 28 day (thus re-setting my 36 months).

Thanks once again.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    3 years from when you last credited your account - a transfer from Avios to BA doesn't count, needs to be from somewhere like Tesco's which usually happens within 24 hours.

Agree very naughty of BA to take the Avios if transferred in, I had the same problem last year, gave me a month to credit the account
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • alfista
    alfista Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Back in April, I transferred all my Avios to my BA account. Since then, I have been earning Avios each month - I then login to Avios and manually transfer the Avios to BA. No problems so far. Avios may not be a perfect scheme, but it works for me - so far this year I've been to Corfu at minimal cost, and will soon be going to Barcelona. BTW I've just noticed I can earn more Avios if I use an Avios "cash passport" - to be tried.
    It's only rock 'n' roll ...
  • santy
    santy Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I had to contact Tesco and make sure they had my BA Executive membership number
  • santy
    santy Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I found the BA executive website and App awful in comparison to the old Avios website and App.
    It doesn't show you what flights are available without looking at every individual date! It doesn't let you know how many miles you are going to use. Maybe it tells you when you finally find a flight but there never are any flights available. The old system was so much better and user-friendly, this, on the other hand, does not work for me!

Hope others have better luck, and if they do please let us know how!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't had a problem.

If you want to know in advance how many avios you need then use the BA avios calculator here.

You can find availability here.

Remember there is now the option to part pay with Avios, so you would earn Avios for a flight that you have also partly paid for with Avios.

Really flexibility is the key, the more flexible you are the more likelihood of finding flights. Otherwise stay up til midnight 355 days beforehand, when Avios seats are guaranteed to be released.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • alfista
    alfista Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, a few months on .... my Avios get creditted to my BA account automatically each month as I earn them (using Lloyds and BA credit cards), and I've booked flights successfully.

As I've said in the past, I regard my Avios as a freebie which provide very cheap flights, so I can live with limited availability of flights.
    It's only rock 'n' roll ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport