Bulb or Avro?

Options
Smodlet
Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hi. I feel like a total idiot but have never been so spoilt for choice at fixed-tariff-ending-time and don't know which way to jump.

I have half the big 6 to choose from, just not my current supplier (otherwise it would be a no-brainer and I would stay with them) I have discarded EDF as I just don't like anything I hear from them. They are out of the picture.

Both SSE and Eon will make me have smart meters, which I would prefer not to have for reasons of my own. I am not looking to start yet another argument over those things. If I have to have them to get a decent tariff, so be it.

Then there are Avro and Bulb. I thought the customer service levels between them would make this choice a no-brainer but have just been reading some horror stories about Bulb while some people are really happy with Avro. I guess this will always be the case.

Both have no exit fees, hence the appeal if one of the big 6 come up with an even better tariff (especially my current supplier) but both take DDs in advance. I believe both increase the amount in the winter as well which defeats the whole monthly DD thing imho.

So what do I do? Flip a coin? Best of 3? I realise I can get £50 cash back from Bulb by using someone's referral link; this is just about exactly what Avro would save me over a year as their prices are lower. I really am stuck and would welcome some ideas, please. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @smodlet
    I just moved to Bulb at the start of the month and their cashback was the thing that swing it for me (one of the £75 offers that crop up form time to time). I ended up on a deal costing £3 per year more then the fix that was ending.
    However, I am continually monitor the fixes on offer and will move if a "go for me" fix appears. I really doubt I will stay on a variable tariff for too long. And if I leave before a year is up then the cashback would have made this deal cheaper than the outgoing fix!
    I've not contacted Bulb but all their emails about the switch have been prompt, clear and timely and the cash back appeared on the energy account within hours of the switch completing. So far no complaints.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I thought Avro had been banned from taking on new customers (but happy to be corrected).
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Smodlet
    Options
    JGB1955 wrote: »
    I thought Avro had been banned from taking on new customers (but happy to be corrected).

No, that ban was lifted on 14th June, I believe. I actually had to tell an Avro employee of this when I called them on the 18th. It does not inspire confidence at all, at all.

Does anyone know if Hengus is still around? I have not come across him for a while.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Hengus asked for his account to be removed as in some threads where I was conversing with him, his username changed to anonymous and inactive. This was a while ago now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I` d go for Bulb and join the pyramid selling scheme but you need a few friends to collect £50 a go . That will soon lower your overall utility bills if you can find a few to collect their generous referral fee s of £50 each friend who you issue your number to.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    I have gone Bulb, almost entirely because it benefits someone else as well as me. The other reason was they have 4 and a half stars whereas as Avro have none. The icing was the fact I had to tell the YTS at Avro the ban on accepting new customers had been lifted. I'd rather have Kermit, Miss Piggy et al supply my energy...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure