julicorn's journey

Options

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can't believe it's June already! Exciting times, because this is going to be the first month we're ever using a proper budget. I've set up categories for mortgage overpayments and various other saving goals (emergency fund, holidays, tattoos), but most of the latter will have to come out of my paycheck at the end of the month (and even then, funding next month's outgoings properly comes first of course). My card and account number for the Nationwide account arrived as well, but somewhat annoyingly it seems like I'll need a card reader for using the online banking, which I don't have yet. Will see if something arrives in the next few days.

Aside from this, all is well. Apart from our tomato plants attracting about a billion snails, but we're trying out a few different deterrents atm - wish us luck! :rotfl:
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • julicorn
    Options
    Little Sunday victory: just listed some clothes I never really wear on some Facebook selling groups, and already sold 3 items for £69 profit! Every little helps :)
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on the big overpayment!!!

I am rather jealous that you can see your account online. My mortgages don't have that facility.

If you discover how to make Chinese curry sauce, please post! I can't have msg so all the ready made mixes like Mayflower are out for me.
  • Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Julicorn :hello:

Just read through your diary! Well done on such a huge over payment in May :T I absolutely love the sound of your mystery holiday, I'll have to bear that in mind if dh and I ever get the chance for a non kids holiday ;)

Great news on selling stuff too! I need to sort some stuff out to sell but I think most of my high value items have already been sold :rotfl:

Good luck with your journey
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • julicorn
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Well done on the big overpayment!!!

I am rather jealous that you can see your account online. My mortgages don't have that facility.

If you discover how to make Chinese curry sauce, please post! I can't have msg so all the ready made mixes like Mayflower are out for me.

Thank you Jenny! I'm glad our mortgage has an online account, I'm a bit of a control freak :rotfl: in fact, I transferred £2,500 into that new Nationwide account, but apparently my online account will only be available from Friday, and I'm half freaking out on the off chance something went wrong with the transaction :rotfl:

Will keep an eye out for curry sauce for sure!
  • julicorn
    Options
    Crumpets wrote: »
    Hi Julicorn :hello:

Just read through your diary! Well done on such a huge over payment in May :T I absolutely love the sound of your mystery holiday, I'll have to bear that in mind if dh and I ever get the chance for a non kids holiday ;)

Great news on selling stuff too! I need to sort some stuff out to sell but I think most of my high value items have already been sold :rotfl:

Good luck with your journey

Thanks Crumpets! The mystery holiday was such a great experience, I can't wait to do it again. Let's see where we end up next time!
    Sold another skirt yesterday, so another £20 in the bank. The girl turned out to live just around the corner from me as well, small world! This was in an international selling group as well, not a local FB one - weird, eh?
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,954 Forumite
    Options
    Fill us in if you do another mystery break, I love the sound of it but don't think I'm brave enough to take the plunge!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • julicorn
    Options
    I'll definitely keep you posted if we book another mystery break! It's on my list of things to save up for (together with a trip to Japan we've been wanting to go on for years - hopefully next year! I'm thinking November may be a good time to go, apparently that time of year is their equivalent of an 'Indian Summer').

Spontaneously overpaid £500 into the mortgage this morning. Normally I would have waited until payday, but my YNAB budget is giving me some confidence that we can afford it. Fingers crossed I haven't completely miscalculated everything. :rotfl: but I'm pretty sure it should be fine.
    Our mission to make take-out food at home is still going well. Made some kebabs on Friday, and yesterday I made beetroot burgers and a really nice potato salad. I was missing some of the ingredients I usually use in a potato salad, so did a little bit of improvising (using capers instead of gherkins for example) because I didn't want to go out and spend more money when we have so many ingredients in the cupboards. I've got to say, I think I almost preferred my new version! Small victories :j either way, hope you all have a lovely and relaxing Sunday ;)
  • julicorn
    Options
    Some half-news, not 100% mortgage related, but might make it easier to overpay in the future. I met with the other directors at work yesterday, and we decided (among a million other things) to give all of our employees a pay rise (they're worth a fair bit more than they are currently on), because work has been coming in consistently. It might mean that I might get one as well, but it's not a priority because I already earn a bit more and I think it's more important to get the employees up to a higher level. But still, it's on the cards! We're also giving everyone a bonus this month of at least £500 - no idea how much I'm getting just yet, but that is still an amazing extra amount to have. Will probably put a bit away towards the holiday and tattoo savings goals, but might still be able to overpay a little more on the mortgage as well. :j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,487 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You are doing so well :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback