Teeth straightening and dental implants

Anyone know if teeth can be more properly centred after dental implants have been placed?

I lost some upper right teeth at a young age and the teeth on the opposite side have drifted across slightly.

I take it once implants are placed I will be stuck with slightly misaligned teeth forever? :(

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Really?

With all the other dental problems you've 'entertained' us with over the past months?

This is a priority for you at 1:30 am on a Monday morning?

Teeth can still have orthodontic work if implants are in place. In fact, implants can make good anchors to help move the natural teeth, and are sometimes put in to help with this.

However - it needs factoring in to an overall plan. So make sure the dentist treating you knows exactly the result you want to achieve so that orthodontics and/or implants can be considered as possible solutions.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Implants cannot be moved by bracework , they are anchored in the bone.

I would also think with your dental history avoiding treatment not strictly necessary would be a very good idea.
  • MrHeisenberg
    MrHeisenberg Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 April 2018 at 11:13PM
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Really?

With all the other dental problems you've 'entertained' us with over the past months?

This is a priority for you at 1:30 am on a Monday morning?

Teeth can still have orthodontic work if implants are in place. In fact, implants can make good anchors to help move the natural teeth, and are sometimes put in to help with this.

However - it needs factoring in to an overall plan. So make sure the dentist treating you knows exactly the result you want to achieve so that orthodontics and/or implants can be considered as possible solutions.

It was actually 12:30 am in the morning. :wink:

You may laugh (which would seem to be against the friendly and helpful spirit of the forum) but when one is ashamed to smile it is a big issue.

brook2jack seems to have an opposing opinion?
  • I am also told the bone in my upper right quadrant is extremely thin, which could well be a factor in terms of my facial pain (though who can be sure). I am hoping, perhaps over-optimistically, that a bone graft I have scheduled in a few weeks time may actually help, though I am not holding my breath.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Not at all. The implants themselves cannot move. The natural teeth can . The implants can be used as an anchor to move other teeth.

Generally orthodontics (braces) is done before implants.

However it would seem an unusual treatment option for someone with your longstanding issues.
  • brook2jack wrote: »
    Not at all. The implants themselves cannot move. The natural teeth can . The implants can be used as an anchor to move other teeth.

Generally orthodontics (braces) is done before implants.

However it would seem an unusual treatment option for someone with your longstanding issues.

Thanks. This is my problem:

My UL1 and UL2 have drifted. The UL1 is not where it should be and has slightly drifted to where the UR1 once was (by about 2mm or 3mm). I believe the dental implants will be offset to accommodate this, so, if I understand you correctly, nothing can be done about this post-implant surgery?
  • Incidentally, I wrote to my dentist and reminded them of their obligations under the Equality Act and they wrote back apologising. Things are now back to normal.
  • Toothsmith
    If implants are put in to simply close gaps with the position of your natural teeth accepted - then it's highly likely that orthodontics will not be possible afterwards. Especially in the situation you describe.

If the people planning your treatment know that this is an issue for you, then they will factor it in before treatment starts.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • Toothsmith wrote: »
    If implants are put in to simply close gaps with the position of your natural teeth accepted - then it's highly likely that orthodontics will not be possible afterwards. Especially in the situation you describe.

If the people planning your treatment know that this is an issue for you, then they will factor it in before treatment starts.

I see, thanks. I will probably need to run this past them.

After doing some research, it looks like I may be able straighten them with the Invisalign i7, which I understand costs around £1,400.

Do you think it will be possible start trying to get them aligned correctly after around 2 months after the bone graft? I'm just wondering how best to approach this.
  • Toothsmith
    I think before you have anything done you should talk to whoever is doing it about everything that you might want doing.

This should be done as an entire joined-up plan, not have little bits & pieces tacked on as you go along.

My guess is that Invisalign isn't the best, quickest, most stable or cheapest way to get the tooth movements you described earlier done. But, I don't know as I can't see you and neither am I an orthodontist.
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure