Options

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 February 2019 at 2:36PM
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    'Joint tenants' are still liable for IHT for example.

But more to the point - it's about couples who own as tenants in common, usually with unequal shares.

Given it's a direct quote from that website, by all means go and argue with the solicitors....
    I'm not arguing, it was actually the 'under certain circumstances' bit that I thought was vague, (not sure why it emboldened the other bit - possibly because I was doing it in a hurry :o ) - if that web page gave any further explanation or in a link to another article giving more specific detail, it would have been a lot less vague
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Write a will stating your wishes, and if you subscribe to a pension fund at work, nominate your fianc! as your beneficiary in the event of your death. Covering these issues formally is the only way to ensure your wishes are implemented. Oh, and perhaps consider drawing up Powers of Attorney too for both Finance and Welfare so that you can act on behalf of one another whilst still alive. I'm unsure whether marriage would revoke them - you need to check - I know divorce or separation does but if one of you has a severe accident which puts you out of action for a while, you may need your partner to be able to handle your financial affairs or make medical decisions on your behalf.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    While I agree with LPAs, they are not free
    In England and Wales, the registration fee is £82 for each LPA – so it costs £164 to register both an LPA for property and financial affairs and an LPA for health and welfare.
    Power of Attorney | Legal issues | Age UK
    That plus the Wills - the costs of getting married (legally, as opposed to socially) are dropping like a rock.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ensure the wills are written "in contemplation of marriage to..." Otherwise, if I recall correctly, your eventual marriage will invalidate any wills done beforehand, which may or may not cause you an issue.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Ensure the wills are written "in contemplation of marriage to..." Otherwise, if I recall correctly, your eventual marriage will invalidate any wills done beforehand, which may or may not cause you an issue.

This only works is the marriage actually takes place within a reasonable timeframe.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    You can't just get married in a friend's garden!
    The premises have to be licensed for weddings and the registrar has to attend and conduct the legal ceremony.
    This wedding, with registrar away from the registry office, costs more than in the registry office.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Loanranger wrote: »
    The premises have to be licensed for weddings and the registrar has to attend and conduct the legal ceremony.
    This wedding, with registrar away from the registry office, costs more than in the registry office.

Maybe the OP lives in Scotland where the laws are different.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loanranger wrote: »

Unless they are in Scotland.

EDIT - cross posted sorry.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    On of the nicest weddings I attended was almost entirely run by the guests - people cooked, took photos, played music, cleared up...
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    My husband and I got married 2 weeks ago at the local register office. The ceremony fee was £50 and we had to pay £35 each when we went to apply for our marriage licence. That's it. Anything else you pay for is your choice. My dress cost £25 and my husband wore a suit he already owned. We just went for a meal out after.
    We have 2 young children and all that mattered to us was that we were married.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure