Would this be classed as deprivation of capital?

Options
I posted another thread regarding an approx 120k inheritance money. I currently live in a council flat and would plan on spending it on buying a flat outright. I do have a girlfriend atm so I would either buy with her and seek a job in the mean time or buy one for myself and seek a job anyway. Would this be classed as deprivation of capital as someone on my other thread suggested? Would they simply cut my benefits or would there be a fine/charge with this?

Comments

• WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Have a word with the DWP office and explain your plans before you make a final decision.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are currently on benefits, when you receive the inheritance monies, you will have to advise the benefit departments you are receiving benefit money from.

They will count the inheritance you receive as capital and the amount may stop you receiving any benefit monies due.

So if you don't want to be living off the inheritance money seeing it reduce and stop you having enough to buy a home, then yes finding a job so you can have enough money to pay for day to day living costs would be sensible.

Do not be tempted to not advise DWP or council housing benefits about the inheritance money. If you fail to advise DWP or Council, then any benefit money you wrongly receive could be seen as fraudulently obtained. The consequences could be devastating and stop you being able to move forward with your life as you are wanting to do. I am not saying that you have given any indication of looking to do this, but we have all read of cases in the newspapers where people have done this.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure