PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Electric yoghurt maker questions

Options

Comments

• larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ted thanks for that.

I made my yoghurt for the first time without the lids and it set fine, but there was condensation in the plastic lid of the maker, which I never had obviously with lids on.

Yes I tried the pot of yoghurt starter, but I think my recipe which is similar to yours works just as well. Today I used UHT milk for the first time. Boiled it,add 2 tbsp dried milk, simmer maybe 1 min. 2 tbsp greek yoghurt in a jug, pour milk through a fine sieve, and mix gently. Into the jars it goes. Four hours later it is set beautifully.

I never do all that sterilising do you? I have never had a problem not doing it either have you?
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• fairylights_2
    Options
    My yoghurt made the yogurella way is still REALLY runny so I'm going to try your way with the lids off and see if that helps ...

Try again tomorrow, eventually I'll crack it!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    If it has yogged but is too thin then you probably need more dried skimmed milk. I use two full tablespoons but you could use 4. Or the starter was too weak, not enough (you could use up to 4 tablespoons, or you didn't mix it thoroughly with the milk or perhaps the yoghurt starter was too near it's sell by date. It can also happen if you've used your own yoghurt as a starter but it was over a week old.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fairly lights.

do you leave the jars on the machine warming while you make your yoghurt?

I do and just wondering if this makes a difference?

The only failure I ever had with this machine was I used a yoghurt which had already curdled and went on the make six posts of curdled yog. However it was ok to use for cooking.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• fairylights_2
    Options
    Well, it's on this morning. 4tbsps of milk powder 4tbsps yog which is in date and ok. Lids off. I'll know this afternoon if it's worked - it's quite exciting this (HOW SAD AM I? :rotfl: )

Edit - There's a thunderbug INSIDE the machine - he's strolling along the lid on the side. So it's not sterile, then. mmmm thunderbug yogurt!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:
  • sunshinesupercat
    Options
    I wonder if any Bel enthusiasts are still out there? My new kitchen was fitted this week so I have been able to unpack kitchen stuff that my old kitchen was too small to accommodate.

Out came my Bel Yogurt Maker which I washed thoroughly = dreaming of all that lovely yogurt I used to make. I broke one of the glasses years ago. OK I can live with that! But then HORROR! All my little plastic lids disintegrated. :eek: What can I do? Would it be ok to put foil over the top of each glass and scrunched down round the edge? Has anybody got any other ideas or must I abandon all hope of ever using my Bel again? :confused:
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've now moved onto the Lakeland 1ltr yoghurt maker (plus an extra insert) because I'm using so much yoghurt now. I have passed on my Bel Yoghurt maker.

I don't know about foil over the top. I've never tried it. The glasses don't get too hot - it is just a gentle heat so it my work.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Foil will be fine as makeshift tops but you might be able to find new ones though - a while back Nutella was sold in glasses that were the same diameter as the yog pots so I used those. maybe you can look for something similar in the supermarket
  • ashby
    ashby Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    For anyone not yet in possesssion of a yogurt maker you can make it just as well without.

Fresh milk should be heated as previously described and allowed to cool to blood heat ie if you stick a clean finger in, it should feel neither hot or cold - just as you would do for a baby's bottle. I haven't used UHT but presumably it just needs heating to that point.
    Stir in your starter yogurt then either use a thermos flask (wide one is easiest for getting it out) or a container wrapped well and left in a warm place. I used to do mine on top of the old boiler in our previous home, an airing cupboard is fine. Anyone with AGA or similar need only use a covered bowl left next to the top. I once made excellent yogurt by wrapping the jar in a blanket and putting it on top a compost heap inside a polytunnel.

All that's required is a temperature warm enough to keep the bacteria multiplying, (if you make bread at all it's the same sort of temp you need to raise the dough) I used to have a Bel YM too but found it a lot of faff, preferring to have one large pot than all those little ones.
    M.E..... MORE than you know
  • Cheers everybody. :beer:
    I guess if you can make it in a cloth covered bowl then the Bel overall lid might be enough. I shall try it with a couple of glasses with the foil and a couple with no lids at all.

I'vr looked at the Lakeland l ltr. Presumably you're happy with the results? I've also tried making it in a bowl with a cloth over it - with variable results. My trusty Bel was reliable ... or maybe that's the pink haze of nostalgia.

Pleeeeeease don't start my Nutella craze again. :EasterBun I'm diabetic and giving up Nutella was nearly as hard as giving up smoking!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure