Can anybody help please?

Options
My dear MIL is needing a new boiler and is receiving High Rate DLA along with Pension Credit due to be severely disabled. Could anybody tell me whether she can get a grant or money off for her situation please. We are looking to get a quote next week with British Gas who are visiting f an assessment of her needs, thank you in advance for any help you can advise.

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who told her she needs a new boiler?

Has she tried a local gas engineer for either a repair or, if it cannot be repaired, a replacement - likely to be a lot cheaper than BG.

As for grants and the like, I believe these were stopped some time ago, however there are still some small schemes still run by some local authorities, try phoning whoever she pays her council tax to and asking them for information, they may have a hardship fund or be able to give her more information on their services.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can still get a grant. Eco Obligation 3 runs till 2022 and large energy companies have to spend money making peoples houses more economical. It actually is on MSE pages:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation/

I used https://becosmart.co.uk/ and got a new boiler and cavity wall insulation, all for free. I was a bit sceptical at first as the surveyor had no interest in my income, only that I got higher rate DLA. Anyway within 10 days had a new boiler installed and insulation for free.

My in laws rang them though and were told it could be up to a month before anyone comes out, so not sure if I was just lucky to get it done so quickly.
  • princess23
    princess23 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Who told her she needs a new boiler?

Has she tried a local gas engineer for either a repair or, if it cannot be repaired, a replacement - likely to be a lot cheaper than BG.

As for grants and the like, I believe these were stopped some time ago, however there are still some small schemes still run by some local authorities, try phoning whoever she pays her council tax to and asking them for information, they may have a hardship fund or be able to give her more information on their services.

Her current boiler is about 50 years old and is now not working properly she still has the old style gas fire etc so this will need updating etc. She wanted British Gas as she seems to trust them so we have arranged a visit.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If she has an old style gas fire on the front of the boiler, i.e. the boiler is a back-boiler, then she is not going to be able to get a back boiler to replace it. She will need a new boiler, in a new location, and the old boiler will need removing or making safe.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • princess23
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    If she has an old style gas fire on the front of the boiler, i.e. the boiler is a back-boiler, then she is not going to be able to get a back boiler to replace it. She will need a new boiler, in a new location, and the old boiler will need removing or making safe.

Yes this is what she has will it therefore be likely that she can get funding for this . I have just done a bit of research and due to her getting DLA (HIGHEST) she does qualify for the Green Deal. Can anyone tell me if she has to contribute anything towards this or will be be totally funded. I believe someone has to visit her property to do an assessment of her needs.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does she own her own home or is it rented? If it's rented is it private landlord or housing association?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    princess23 wrote: »
    Yes this is what she has will it therefore be likely that she can get funding for this . I have just done a bit of research and due to her getting DLA (HIGHEST) she does qualify for the Green Deal. Can anyone tell me if she has to contribute anything towards this or will be be totally funded. I believe someone has to visit her property to do an assessment of her needs.

The Government scheme has ended. It is now being done by some private companies.
    There is no upfront payment.
    The cost is added to the future energy bills.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2017/06/green-deal-relaunched-under-private-ownership---how-does-it-stack-up/
  • princess23
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Does she own her own home or is it rented? If it's rented is it private landlord or housing association?

She does own her own home, thank you for your reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure