Sainsbury/British Gas issue

Options

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 9 July 2019 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Time for a photo please - I am getting confused. Either you've got a connected gas meter or you haven't - if its not connected you don't have a gas supply !

You don't get combined gas and electric meters - there will always be two (At first glance they may look identical depending on what has been fitted)

Use imgur or similar to post - include an obvious error in the link
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Shotz
    Shotz Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I will take pics tommorow morning of both meters. Thanks guys.

Just spoke to british gas every one 1 speak to has a different answer
    The bloke i spoke to now said that my meter reads have been estimated since october 2017. So when smart meters where installed they got a actual read and that is where the balance has come from.
    I told him i had sent atleast 3/4 reads in that period but he saying there is no record of that.
    Any advice what i should do now.
  • Robin9
    Options
    So you were with BG with from October 2017 when you joined Sainsbury in July 2018 ?

You could ask British Gas for copies of the bills ?

You are learning a very hard lesson
  • Shotz
    Options
    I was with british gas since july 2016 to 2017 then sainsburys energy 2017 to 2018 and then renewed with sainsburys from july 2018 to july 2019 but british gas took over in november 2018. Confusing i know.
    But wouldnt i have given readings each time my deal expired???

I was sent emails over them periods where my direct debit would increase due to higher usage. So they would have had readings for them to bill me more.
  • Robin9
    Options
    Does anyone know what happens with the relationship between BG and Sainsbury when you switch ? Normally if you were in debt with your present supplier they would block the switch.

OP You say you don't have access to your BG account pre JUly 2018 but do you have access to your Sainsbury ? If so please post the readings when you swopped and also for today.,
  • Shotz
    Options
    Sainsburys was part of british gas.
    British gas had told me they were looking into the matter. However today i recieved a letter from arvato... stating that british gas has asked them to do a home visit/contact me regarding outstanding balance of 3170.
    Just got off the phone to british gas who are saying my meter readings jave been estimates because my smart gas is meant to send readings to my smart electric meter and that is how they get accurate readings.
    However because my electric meter is a pay and go smart it is unable to do that..
    How is that my fault,the only reason this is being discussed now is becuase i recieved a high bill and once they looked into my account tglhey found this issue. Is it not something they should have known/sorted before me notifying them.
  • Belladonna14
    Options
    I had an issue a few years ago where Scottish Power took almost £1000 from my account saying I owed it as they had under - estimated my reading. However, I always gave my own readings.
    After a good few days of feeling like I was on the verge of losing my mind ( I do'nt have a spare £1000), and numerous calls to them I worked it out.
    Basically, I had been with Scottish Power up to a certain point. Then I switched to a fix with a different company for 12 months. When the fix ended, I switched back to Scottish Power for another fix.
    Scottish Power had taken my opening reading from the new switch, and charged me from my closing reading from my previous switch (effectively a year of fuel), and taken it from my bank, despite me actually paying another company for the power.
    It took me ages to spot it, and it was only because I could find an old bill and noticed that the closing read was the same as the start read they were charging me.
    That wasn't the end though, they tried taking it 3 times. I ended up getting the managing director involved. It was ridiculous.
  • Robin9
    Options
    Shotz wrote: »
    ......................... because my smart gas is meant to send readings to my smart electric meter and that is how they get accurate readings.
    However because my electric meter is a pay and go smart it is unable to do that.................

I think BG are telling you a porkie ! As I understand it the electric meter type doesn't matter.
  • Shotz
    Options
    Guys should i complain to financial omnusben?
    Am on the phone to british gas now been on there for 1 hour 25 mins
    The women i am speaking to says that my accounts merged succesfully on 3rd feb with outstanding balance of 770 pounds. However there was error sometime aftrr that and balances from sainsburys were added later. They cant explain why or when. She is looking in to it.

Can i refuse to pay anything other then tge 770 as its a error after my account merged.
    Please advise as this is really messing with my head
  • Robin9
    Options
    First, if you haven't already done so, is make a written letter marked COMPLAINT - use snail mail, don't phone, don't email - to BG. Stick to the facts - account numbers, etc

They have 8 weeks to respond - then go to the ombudsman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport