Claiming HB and renting from ex husband

Options
Hi
I have searched for information regarding renting from ex husband, but keep finding conflicting advice.
So as not to drip feed, my situation is as such
I am receiving income based ESA, PiP and housing benefit. I have been claiming housing benefit and renting from my sister for ten years. The council confirmed it was a commercial tenancy and said due to needing to be near family due to health problems and having a 15 year old disabled child, I was allowed to rent from family.
My sister is having to sell her house after her mortgage deal finishes in 15 months due to not being able to renew her mortgage as renting to family and being over 65 is a risk mortgage lenders are refusing to take.
There are no houses that meet our needs nearby for me to rent, but there are cheaper houses nearby to buy that would meet our needs. My ex husband is a landlord. I am aware you can rent from an ex partner if you’ve never cohabited in that house. But I’m reading conflicting advice about whether I can rent from him if our child is also living with me. I’m not sure if it only refers to a child if they are under 16 or any child, even if they are classed as a non dependant adult.
It would really help me and my son if we were allowed to rent a house from my ex so we have a little bit of stability. We would have a obviously have a commercial tenancy in place, the same as now. Can anyone help with this?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    straight wrote: »
    Hi
    I have searched for information regarding renting from ex husband, but keep finding conflicting advice.
    So as not to drip feed, my situation is as such
    I am receiving income based ESA, PiP and housing benefit. I have been claiming housing benefit and renting from my sister for ten years. The council confirmed it was a commercial tenancy and said due to needing to be near family due to health problems and having a 15 year old disabled child, I was allowed to rent from family.
    My sister is having to sell her house after her mortgage deal finishes in 15 months due to not being able to renew her mortgage as renting to family and being over 65 is a risk mortgage lenders are refusing to take.
    There are no houses that meet our needs nearby for me to rent, but there are cheaper houses nearby to buy that would meet our needs. My ex husband is a landlord. I am aware you can rent from an ex partner if you’ve never cohabited in that house. But I’m reading conflicting advice about whether I can rent from him if our child is also living with me. I’m not sure if it only refers to a child if they are under 16 or any child, even if they are classed as a non dependant adult.
    It would really help me and my son if we were allowed to rent a house from my ex so we have a little bit of stability. We would have a obviously have a commercial tenancy in place, the same as now. Can anyone help with this?
    I'm not sure of the answer but the question here is, would your ex evict you and your children if you didn't pay your rent?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These are the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 which may cover your circumstances:

Circumstances in which a person is to be treated as not liable to make payments in respect of a dwelling
    9.—(1) A person who is liable to make payments in respect of a dwelling shall be treated as if he were not so liable where—
    (a)
    the tenancy or other agreement pursuant to which he occupies the dwelling is not on a commercial basis;
    (b)
    his liability under the agreement is to a person who also resides in the dwelling and who is a close relative of his or of his partner;
    (c)
    his liability under the agreement is—
    (i)
    to his former partner and is in respect of a dwelling which he and his former partner occupied before they ceased to be partners; or
    (ii)
    to his partner’s former partner and is in respect of a dwelling which his partner and his partner’s former partner occupied before they ceased to be partners;
    (d)
    he is responsible, or his partner is responsible, for a child of the person to whom he is liable under the agreement;

So how many children do you have with your ex husband and what are their ages? Is there just the one? 15 years old or now an adult? Does your ex pay child maintenance for your disabled son (or any others?)

If you only have the one child and he is now a non dependent (claiming benefits?) then it may be possible to claim HB in these circumstances.

My understanding of the legislation is that a child refers to someone who is not a young adult BUT, of course, I may be wrong!

And yes, as you know, you would have to have a commercial tenancy.

My suggestion is that you contact the local authority where the potential rental is and ask the question.

Just a 'heads up'. If the new rental is in a new authority then you may have to claim Universal Credit and not ESA etc.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shelter link
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/housing_benefit_renting_from_family
    You can’t get housing benefit if:
    your landlord is a parent of your child, who is under 16
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Of course the final answer would come from the local authority who you should contact.
  • straight
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.
    In answer to the questions my son is 15 and will be sixteen by the time my sisters mortgage deal runs out and thus she sells her house. I have no other children living with me, but I have an extra bedroom for an overnight carer.

The England Shelter website states I can’t rent from an ex if our child is under 16, but the scotland website, where I’m based just says child.
    My husband pays maintenance for my 15 year old.
    As suggested I will have to speak with my council, I just hope they don’t say we can’t make a decision until you make a claim for housing benefit or universal credit, because obviously I need to know before my sister sells it as either she will have to find another landlord willing to buy it or I will have to move out if I can’t claim housing benefit
  • straight
    straight Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Sorry to keep asking questions. In wonder if anyone can help me again. I contacted shelter and they quoted from their website
    “ you can get universal credit housing costs for rent paid to an ex partner but only if the tenancy is a genuine commercial arrangement.”
    Is there less chance of the council accusing me of a contrived tenancy if stay in my current house and rent it from my ex husband. He’s fine with just buying property where tenants are already established.

I looked into universal credit housing entitlement ( universal credit regulation 13, schedule 2) and it talked about needing to have liability to pay rent regardless of whether one does. Can someone explain what the bit below means from ? I read it as I am not liable to pay rent only if a close relative or partner lives with me.

SCHEDULE 2
    Claimant treated as liable or not liable to make payments

PART 1
    Treated as liable to make payments

Certain other persons liable to make payments

1.—(1) A claimant is to be treated as liable to make payments where the person who is liable to make the payments is—

(a)any child or qualifying young person for whom the claimant (or if the claimant is a member of a couple, either member) is responsible; or

(b)in the case of a claimant who is a member of a couple claiming as a single person, the other member of the couple.

(2) Sub-paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to a person who is claiming as a single person by virtue of regulation 3(4).

PART 2
    Treated as not liable to make payments

Liability to make rent and other payments to close relative

5.—(1) A claimant is to be treated as not liable to make rent payments where the liability to make them is owed to a person who lives in the accommodation and who is—

(a)if the claimant is a member of a couple, the other member; or

(b)a child or qualifying young person for whom—

(i)the claimant is responsible, or

(ii)if the claimant is a member of a couple, the other member is responsible; or

(c)a close relative of—

(i)the claimant, or

(ii)if the claimant is a member of a couple, the other member, or

(iii)any child or qualifying young person who falls within paragraph (b).

The Shelter website says this

Claimants not treated as liable
    Certain claimants who make payments for their home are treated as not being liable to make housing cost payments, and will not be entitled to the housing cost element of universal credit.

This applies when:[3]

the claimant is liable to make payments to a close relative who lives in the same property. (A close relative is a partner, child or young person for whom the claimant receives child benefit, parent, brother, sister, step-parent, step-child, in-law or a partner of one of these persons.

If I’m right and I can claim housing on universal credit, should I ask if I can move onto universal credit.(even though I will be worse off). It’s just I’m desperate to stay here for mine and my sons mental and physical health.

My sister is keen to get rid of the house even before the mortgage term finishes. It’s such a shame that it seems I cant remain as a tenant in this house if my ex husband is the new landlord whilst I’m on housing benefit as my son is only 15. But theoretically if he was sixteen maybe I could have. It’s just the not knowing of being accused of trying to take advantage of HB.
    I’m not sure the council would allow me to transfer to universal credit just so I can claim the housing element and remain as a tenant here. That might suggested I’m trying to play the system.

My only wish is to stay here, yes, I will benefit from this set up in that I won’t have to move even though my landlord will have sold her house. But surely the council will be able to see that it will help my son and I in that we wont have to find new suitable accommodation which is very hard to find here and all the extra cost and stress moving away from family members that provide overnight care will entail.

My head is about to explode, should my ex husband buy the house and then I claim universal credit declaring that I’m renting from my ex husband, or should I just go to the council and explain that my sister is trying to help me by selling her house to a landlord that is wanting to buy an investment property with tenants already in, but the landlord will be my ex husband. I’m just scared that they will accuse me of trying to take advantage. That will make me very embarrassed and upset. My anxiety is through the roof I’ve not slept with worry for many nights.
  • Wicked
    Wicked Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    dod you find out if this is possible?
    ive been told I’d have to apply and add notes to my application so basically would depend on discretion of the person looking at the application.
    this is not very helpful! 
    We have a child that is 16 and one is 13
    Hope you got to stay in your home 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OP has not been on site since November last year so is unlikely to reply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback