OFTM - unfair terms re. meters?

Options
GeoffL
GeoffL Posts: 34 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Ofgem switched me to British Gas after my supplier went bust. BG are expensive and so I'm looking to switch. Outfox The Market (OFTM) seems to offer the best fixed deal. However, there are two clauses re metering in their T&Cs that worry me, viz:

10.6 We are allowed to install, maintain, read, disconnect, repair or replace any metering equipment
10.7 You must pay any Charges and costs in connection with removing, inspecting, replacing or repairing the metering equipment at your property

As I read this, the T&Cs allow them to replace (e.g. with smart meters) without my explicit consent (other than my acceptance of their T&Cs). Even though the meters belong to the energy network companies, who should be responsible for upkeep, the terms seem to pass the cost of new meters, maintenance etc. to me!

Have I misread these T&Cs or missed something else? Are these conditions even 'fair' under unfair contract legislation?

Thanks for reading, Geoff

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In earlier days it was the network provider who owned meters, but some time ago, (3 years?, someone will be along to correct me), the meter ownership was passed over to the suppliers
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    GeoffL wrote: »
    Ofgem switched me to British Gas after my supplier went bust. BG are expensive and so I'm looking to switch. Outfox The Market (OFTM) seems to offer the best fixed deal. However, there are two clauses re metering in their T&Cs that worry me, viz:

10.6 We are allowed to install, maintain, read, disconnect, repair or replace any metering equipment
    10.7 You must pay any Charges and costs in connection with removing, inspecting, replacing or repairing the metering equipment at your property

As I read this, the T&Cs allow them to replace (e.g. with smart meters) without my explicit consent (other than my acceptance of their T&Cs). Even though the meters belong to the energy network companies, who should be responsible for upkeep, the terms seem to pass the cost of new meters, maintenance etc. to me!

Have I misread these T&Cs or missed something else? Are these conditions even 'fair' under unfair contract legislation?

Thanks for reading, Geoff

I believe you have misread, or at least misinterpreted, the T&Cs
    I see no indication within those T&Cs that they can force smart metering onto you.
    Indeed, smart metering is entirely optional.
    See also:
    10.2 We are not able to support Smart Meters yet and we are not currently supplying them.... ;)

You will find similar T&Cs to the ones you are questioning with all suppliers, I suggest.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

10.6 is pretty standard, and is a legal requirement on their part (install & maintain meters).
    10.7 - Without checking Standard Licencing Conditions, pretty sure they can not charge for routine inspection & replacement of meters. If you request secondary meters to check the existing one is reading correctly, then they may be able to charge if no fault found.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • GeoffL
    GeoffL Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies.

FWIW, after posting my question, I noticed that OFTM has a webchat facility. So I asked them and they told me that if they have any reason to repair or replace a meter that a charge of £144 would apply and that this would be refunded at their discretion if their engineer confirmed the meter was faulty. While they would be unlikely to do such work except at my request or where they had already identified my meter to be defective, they retain the right to do it and to charge me £144 each time.

I checked other suppliers and similar charges are either well hidden or I'd only get charged if it was my fault (e.g. I ask them to reposition a meter).
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It is standard for any supplier to charge you up front, if you say your meter is faulty. The meter is then tested and the charge is refunded if the meter is faulty. If you asked them to reposition your meter, most probably they again would charge you.

If you said to them can I please have a smart meter, and they said yes, then you would not be charged for the meter change.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »
    In earlier days it was the network provider who owned meters, but some time ago, (3 years?, someone will be along to correct me), the meter ownership was passed over to the suppliers

No, all the meters tend to be owned by asset companies these days who lease them to suppliers. (Not that there is anything stopping the dno or supplier being the ones that own them. Just they choose not to).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure