Recommendations for cheap home cctv

Options

Comments

• jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you got an old android phone? Prop it up in a window and install something like Motion Detector Pro ... says it will detect motion and email you the picture. Cheap suggestion!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 2:44PM
    Options
    You can get 720p IP cameras for next to nothing (about £30), then install the bundled "CMS" software on a PC laptop, I don't use that setup myself, but i've used CMS to change settings on my cameras and it does the job.

If your at any distance from the bin, only an IP camera is going to give good enough image quality anyway.

I'm phasing out my analogue cameras, but still use them in my garage and over my front door.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Woa there KLB!

You write "outside your house" . Not on your property?
    Then there are legal restrictions recording in that case. Without safeguards you may well find you are doing something illegally.
    "CCTV used on your property will be exempt from the Data Protection Act unless you are capturing footage of individuals outside your property."
    https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Woa there KLB!

Then there are legal restrictions recording in that case. Without safeguards you may well find you are doing something illegally.
    "CCTV used on your property will be exempt from the Data Protection Act unless you are capturing footage of individuals outside your property."

In reality not going to be a problem unless someone complains OR your pointing it into someone's house.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    In reality not going to be a problem unless someone complains OR your pointing it into someone's house.

Sounds like there's a risk of the next door neighbour complaining. Some people get very funny about their neighbours putting up CCTV, hence the requirement to keep it pointing at your property and not outside your boundary.
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    A Reolink RLC-410S
    would workOK. IP camera, power-over-Ethernet, and also has built-in storage. So set it for motion detaction, should record a day or a few days, depending on sensitivity you set, without the need for a hard drive.

Easily see who/what is filling your bins from 10 meters I should say. Day or night.
  • KLB
    KLB Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heedtheadvice - really? it would be pointing into my garden and also film the bins which sit just on the other side of the wall.. not pointing at anybody else's property.. i assumed lots of people's cameras did this...

thanks all for the other replies, some of it over my head tech-wise, but has given me some pointers.
  • Phil&Michelle
    Options
    I've just been looking into this online and found some in Maplins, just make sure the set up instructions are easy to understand as some I looked at had bad reviews.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Woa there KLB!

That's not strictly true you can record what you like providing it doesn't run into the realms of invasion of privacy, harassment etc.but that isn't covered by DP
    Data protection laws are about how you keep any data you have stored safe and private and how you remove any data stored if requested by the person who's data you record.
    Normal recording of your property or the highway including the front of the house opposite is unlikely to fall foul of that unless you are broadcasting the footage, and then it would take a specific complaint.
  • Lizabeth21
    Lizabeth21 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    We view the video and also live picture on the tv. As soon as someone steps into the sensor zone it records 10secs and yes can see clearly (do need outside light in at night time if no street light). Also has option for single photo.
    Do have signs up (came with camera) and careful where to point it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure