PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying and letting

Options
Hotglove
Hotglove Posts: 16 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 May 2018 at 4:14PM in House buying, renting & selling
We are planning to buy a house with a BTL mortgage which, in the first instance, we will rent out.
Eventually we hope to sell other property, pay off the BTL mortgage and move in ourselves.
currently looking for advice as to what kind of property attracts the best tenants, we are mainly looking at 4 bed detached houses.
We like several different styles of house so would be interested in the features that appeal most strongly to the "ideal" tenant.
We already have a 3 bed terraced house and a 2 bed maisonette which are let, but the new venture will be mortgaged quite heavily so there is less room for mishaps.
All comments welcome.

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends on the area.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 May 2018 at 4:44PM
    Options
    A lot will depend on the area but also if you buy a house with multiple bedrooms you may find that its not always occupied by a single family and you often get requests for sharers.

Personally as a LL I stick to 3 bed properties or lower as the 4th bedroom doesn't always attract a higher rent or a more settled tenant.

In the area you are looking to purchase is a 4 bed detached house likely to rent easily.How many of them are in your local area for rent on somewhere like RM.You should be able to see how long something takes to rent by monitoring a site like that for a few weeks.Turnaround can sometimes be slower on a larger house and the voids need to be considered.

As an example in the area I rent properties there are currently 17 2 bed properties on RM all of which seem to turnover quite quickly,within a couple of weeks.There are 4 4 Bed properties that have been listed at least a month.

If you are looking to move to a bigger house and think the way forward is to buy something now and rent it out I'm not sure that's the best way to approach it.
    Extra stamp duty for a start will also increase the cost so if funds will be tight and leave little room for voids then I would possibly rethink the forward plan

Interested in knowing your definition of the ideal tenant for you.....
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Hotglove
    Options
    Ideal tenant pays rent, looks after property, does not upset neighbours and stays for at least 2 years :-)
    There is a chance that the final move would be within 2 yrs, so, as I understand, it the additional duty could be reclaimed.
    We have a cash deposit which will not earn much interest sitting in the bank, so if the rental was self-sufficient, or earned a small profit, we would be looking to the increase in property value to protect our capital.
    Our area has been recently listed as among the top 5 in the UK for property growth.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    Hotglove wrote: »
    Ideal tenant pays rent, looks after property, does not upset neighbours and stays for at least 2 years :-)
    There is a chance that the final move would be within 2 yrs, so, as I understand, it the additional duty could be reclaimed.
    We have a cash deposit which will not earn much interest sitting in the bank, so if the rental was self-sufficient, or earned a small profit, we would be looking to the increase in property value to protect our capital.
    Our area has been recently listed as among the top 5 in the UK for property growth.

so you don't want your ideal tenant then....if they stay more than 2 years you cant reclaim the stamp duty.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Has a bank offered you a BTL mortgage?
  • need_an_answer
    Options

but the question isn't around good property growth yours is specifically to find a house that you want to live in in a few years time.

property growth and rental sectors are two different things and in all honesty the fact that somewhere is a property hotspot doesn't automatically follow that the rental tenant you want will be there to rent the property.

Apparently I live in one of the top 5 places to live in the UK and the rental market has seen one of the biggest and fasting growing markets,but as I said earlier if you don't have the property that matches the rental market it doesn't matter how many top 5's you look at!

I cant help but think your desire to purchase is less about getting another rental and more about potentially finding your forever family home.

They are 2 very different things and probably shouldn't be mixed.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree, you seem to have two different goals here. One is to find a 4-bedroom detached house that you would like to live in yourselves one day and the other is to find a 4-bedroom detached property that will attract the best tenants but not for more than 2 years. ;)

Why is buying the 4-bedroom house to live in when you are ready to live in it not an option? Why the rush? I'm not sure you would be eligible for a refund in the higher rate of SDLT if you go ahead with your plan. It depends on what other property you plan on selling to pay off the BTL mortgage and if you can successfully demonstrate that you always intended the 4-bedroom property to be your main residence.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

To be listed in the top 5 for growth the growth must already have happened otherwise they wouldn't know. This means that you have missed the chance. So from now on it will probably be flat.
  • Hotglove
    Options
    15 years ago I bought a BTL house with a £20k deposit, if I had left the £20k in an investment account it would have grown a bit (I am sure someone on here will be able to quote a typical yield)
    The house has grown in value by £170k and the total rental profit is just under £100k
    The projected 4 bed retirement home doesn’t have to perform anywhere near as well, but it would just be reassuring to know that it is waiting in the wings.
    Perhaps mixing business and a notional peace of mind is not ideal.
    So, not a rush, but one does not get younger as time marches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure