PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why don't landlords like DSS?

Options

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know a LL who was happy to take on HB tenant because he would be able to claim for a free boiler costing £1,200+, it works for some LLs.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also if you need to regain possession of the property, the chances are the tenants will struggle to find another LL who will accept HB, and the council will advise them that they can't house them until they are physically evicted which means months of waiting for court dates and bailiff fees = huge cost and hassle.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    They are snobs.

Of course! Nothing to do with insurance exclusions, trouble evicting, and benefit payments being stopped?

What a stupid comment.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's because a minority of DSS recipients have spoilt it for the majority by acting irresponsibly.

It used to be that housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord. Now, in the interests of treating all people like responsible adults, the benefit is paid to the claimant - who is expected to do the right thing and pass the money to their landlord.

Unfortunately, a minority of DSS claimants just keep the money for themselves.

Its merely a ‘back to the future’ situation. I claimed HB decades ago as, it was paid to me as the tenant.

It was changed and then some landlords claimed for tenants who didn’t exist.
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    Options
    im a landlord and i dont mind dss tennants but there is stipulations on my mortgage that i cant have dss tennants if i want a better rate mortgage

i find it strange this has never been communicated by anyone

just look at godiva btl morgages and its in there t and cs
  • bob_bank_spanker
    Options
    newbie1980 wrote: »
    im a landlord and i dont mind dss tennants but there is stipulations on my mortgage that i cant have dss tennants if i want a better rate mortgage

i find it strange this has never been communicated by anyone

just look at godiva btl morgages and its in there t and cs

Dss which does not exist is an actual term in mortgages in 2017?!
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Because they are experienced landlords.
    End of question.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    One of the reasons I believe that LL don't want DSS tenants is because some don't have any incentive to look after the property.
    If you pay for a property from your own money you will tend to try and look after it.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Housing benefit and now universal credit are paid in arrears.
    So a LL has to wait sometimes months before they get any rent.
    No way to run a business or pay you btl mortgage. Insurance, etc
    Limits on what the council are willing to pay in rent for a property.
    High risk of damage to property and No point taking ex tenant to court if they have no money to pay arrears or for any damage
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    edited 7 October 2017 at 2:36AM
    Options
    In Ireland you are not allowed to advertise no DSS or housing benefit .

I have one tenant on benefits.She receives her HB every two weeks in arrears .She gets it on a Wednesday I have it no later than Friday.I get a text from the bank as soon as its paid .

I have a couple renting from me ,both working.They are the one's I have trouble getting the rent from. I have to collect the rent in cash due to problems with their bank. They got broadband and phone from BT ,both disconnected after one month due to no DD in place.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport