Windows 8.1 could login but then no access

This happened today, Windows 8.1 wanted to restart but after that refused to continue even though my password was correct. Just kept Returning to the login screen, over and over.

Safe Mode, no difference. System Restore (restore point 3 days ago) failed. Grrr.

So I did a Refresh My PC, now it works but Office 2010, amounts other things, has gone. So it’ll all need to be reinstalled. And so will all the email account settings in Outlook, all 10 of them, individually. Grrr.

Why is Microsoft still so rubbish. And I’ve been using it since version 2.

Previously I was on Windows 10 until the update last July which caused a meltdown after an unrequested Automatic Repair attempt. Endless in escapable loop....

Be warned.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well that's what Refresh does. It tells you this on the screen before you do it, that your applications will go bye bye and will need reinstalling.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    roytom wrote: »
    Safe Mode, no difference. System Restore (restore point 3 days ago) failed. Grrr.

So I did a Refresh My PC,
    In my experience, Restore usually says its failed but hasn't (I assume you tried to logon after?); I'd have also tried a more distant restore. But too late now.

Refresh normally gives the option to "keep apps/data" but perhaps 8.1 wasn't as clever as 10? Hard luck.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Refresh in 8.1 worked in the same way as Windows 10 does. It will save data but it will not save applications that didn't come from the Windows Store.
  • steviebuk
    steviebuk Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I feel the pain. More reason to start a backup routine going. Maybe a full one week backup. Then differently after that till the next month. Then another full backup. So on for 3 months. Then after 3 months, start overwriting the older backups.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure