IVA support and discussion thread

Options

Comments

• UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    Great suggestion FocusQueen,

I didn't even know you could get a 3-Year insurance contract.

Will certainly bear it in mind.

DC: I used to pay for my bike insurance technically 'by saving on my other allowances'. Ie: I covered its cost relatively easily from reduced outlay in various other bits like car maintenance / fuel etc.

After all, if I wasn't cycling, I would be driving.
  • Hello

I am currently in an IVA and have read about the StepChange Budgeting Guide but after searching it in Google I cannot find the document anywhere.

Can someone help out by pointing to where I can get this from?

Having read this thread things seem a little less scary and I hope that I can share the experiences that I've had in the coming weeks.

Thanks
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    Hi OneStepAtATime, welcome to the forum.

The Stepchange Budget Guidelines Report 2012 can be found here.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7La...N1E/edit?pli=1

(Sorry, have not yet been able to get hold of the latest version that came in on October, but the figures will probably only differ by a couple of quid here and there).

It is well worth a read, as it covers every form of expenditure, right the way down to allowances for hairdressing, kid's school dinners, meals at work, even hobbies etc.

If you are careful to correctly record your income and expenditure, and to broadly claim the best ('maximum') allowance figures where you can, your IVA payment should be set at quite an affordable level. Certainly use this a review time, claim increasing allowance expenditure, thus off-setting any income increases, and keeping your repayment as low as possible.
  • Depth_Charge
    Options
    Great suggestion FocusQueen,

I didn't even know you could get a 3-Year insurance contract.

Will certainly bear it in mind.

DC: I used to pay for my bike insurance technically 'by saving on my other allowances'. Ie: I covered its cost relatively easily from reduced outlay in various other bits like car maintenance / fuel etc.

After all, if I wasn't cycling, I would be driving.

Hi

Thanks for that

These sound like top of the range bikes with cover at those premium levels.

Also keeps you fit does cycling, I need to consider getting into it as the weight has upped a trifle again I think.

DC
  • FiatFan_2
    FiatFan_2 Posts: 269 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2013 at 10:59PM
    Options
    Hi all,

I've just done my car insurance, pay monthly, 2nd cheapest on confused and claimed £44.62 topcashback. Saved £100 on renewal alone before cashback so well chuffed! :)

ooh by the way it was with The Green Insurance Company
    Roll on DFD, final payment 1st October 2017 :beer:
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    Cheers FF, will add them to my list.
  • Find_The_Real
    Options
    Have you also tried AXA for your car insurance UTMNII as they were coming out relatively cheap on a recent search and as you are already a customer they may have a discount in place, sometimes it is worth asking.

I may have to change my insurance this year as I am with the Co-op who were great in accepting most people for monthly payments but are very pricey on quotes, it is only a discount with them that has made it a reasonable price to have my home and motor insurance with them.

I am very fortunate though that I can negotiate with my new creditors a payment break to pay for it in full if need be but it is really helpful to know what companies are IVA friendly for life's essentials.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Quite a few pay monthly options to choose from.

Yes, AXA are cheap at the moment. Was about to get my home insurance with Budget Insurance, when I re-ran the comparison and were pipped by £50.
  • Find_The_Real
    Options
    There were some very good points made on another thread when someone was originally asking for advice about a certain company and entering into an IVA, so I thought it would be interesting to share experiences and opinions on how to go about choosing the right company for an IVA and whether they are really offering an unbiased opinion considering the amount of fees that can potentially be charged.

I had fully researched all my options for almost a year before I decided to do something about my debt. First of all as I knew I was going to have a mortgage shortfall, I entered into a DMP until I had the figures as it was seeming a lot easier to go for a more formal agreement once I had that. I also did a lot of research on bankruptcy and IVA whilst I was waiting and I found the difficult choice to be just who to choose as it is something most us none of us know much about until we are in debt and things are tough. I searched a lot and on other people's recommendations and experiences, and more importantly by speaking with the company, I felt really happy to use the firm I did for my IVA

Yes I agree by relying on people being biased over their experiences with a firm, people can get a false feeling that there will never be any problems along the way, but I would like to throw out there for discussion, what do you think is the best way to choose your IVA firm if that is the route you think is the best and are there any pitfalls or things you should consider?

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    FTR: You are very fortunate to have had your IVA with about the best IVA firm out there: Just google 'melanie giles complaints' ...not a sausage. That speaks volumes.

I think finding a genuinely 'unbiased' opinion though on IVA's is nigh-on impossible.

I think as well, that customers must carefully consider all their options, before deciding that an IVA is right for them.

The IVA guidance on this site suggests that customers with debt problems seek advice from the ‘charity’ organisations. Sounds fair enough doesn't it? ...until you find out from any of their websites, that they are funded by your creditors.

I can't help feeling that was who’s interests they were looking out for when they advised me. They tried pushing me towards a debt management plan (would have taken 15-20 years to pay off my debt + loads of interest).

No doubt, the charities 'over-sell' DMP's, in the same way the private sector is accused of mis-selling IVAs. I have read dozens of accounts over the last year along the lines of:

'...I'm in a DMP with [insert charity/company], but 5-Years in, hardly any of my debt is paid off...'

...clearly had those people chosen IVA's, they would be debt-free by now.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that the Customer Advisers working for these charities genuinely believe they are offering the best advice. But their advice is dictated by the policy of that organisation, which is almost certainly heavily influenced by the creditors who ultimately pay their wages.

Also, on the rare occasion that Stepchange believe an IVA to be the best option, they refer much of that to Grant Thornton anyway. (Just google 'Grant Thornton Complaints' to see why that may not be in your best interests). They are all very competent etc. (Most of the problems seem to be associated with delays in closing the IVA, associated with reclaiming PPI). But with only a handful of IP's to cover their 20,000+ customer portfolio (nearly half the IVA market basically), one-to-one customer service is probably not their strong suit.

I have even come across allegations that some CAB offices refer potential IVA customers direct to GT as well. Hardly inmpartial advice is it?

Saying all that, the flip-side of the coin is to seek advice from the private sector (as ultimately, that is where you will likely end up if being referred by a charity for an IVA). In doing so, no doubt perspective customers will encounter firms that will ‘over-sell’ IVA’s to people for whom it may not be the best solution.

With 35-40% of all IVA's failing to complete, one has to assume that there is a lot of mis-selling of this product to people for whom clearly it is not the right solution. A solution though which is very lucrative for the company.

Hence why I have also read several accounts from customers claiming that they have very few assets and low (sometimes state-benefit only income) along the lines of:

...'Help, I can't afford my IVA - wish I'd gone bankrupt instead...'

So, each perspective IVA customer should seek opinions from not just CAB, Stepchange etc, but to speak to the private sector as well. Everyone needs to look at their own unique circumstances, and make an informed decision after hearing the pro's & con's of IVA vs DMP vs BR.

If you have your heart set on an IVA, my personal advice - based solely on my experience, is to forget the debt charities (take heed of their advice by all means, but if they are going to refer you for an IVA, best to avoid the most complained-about IVA company in the Country).

Instead, Google:
    'Insolvency Practitioner Reviews'; and
    'Insolvency and Rescue Awards'

Then seek advice from 2-3 IVA companies that have both good customer reviews AND recognised for best practice within the industry.

Pesrsonally, I would put slightly more faith in the customer reviews.

I say that, because my IVA company (Mitchell Farrar), have been nominated in the awards (which at least reassures me that they are competent), but frankly, their customer service is poor. (Frequently Emails don't get responded to, premium-number phone line - only to be put through to an answerphone - then to not get a call-back either).

You have to feel comfortable with your chosen firm, because you are well-and-trully stuck with them once your IVA is approved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure