Company Sold

Options
Hi,
There’s a strong possibility that part of the company I work for is getting sold and everyone within that part will be transferring to the new company which is located around 7 miles away, however by public transport it would mean a 3 hour commute (both ways) per day.

I’m just wondering what my options would be? as I don’t drive.
Also there were whispers of them offering to pay for taxis for me for 2/3 months until I pass my test but I’m not sure I even want to drive cause I’ve had lessons before and I wasn’t really suited to it.

If they offer me transport for a set time does that mean I wouldn’t be eligible for redundancy?

I’ve worked there for 12 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Trentenders
    Trentenders Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a bike and it'll take you less than half an hour each way, plus you'd gain some fitness.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A 7 mile journey on public transport taking 90 mins sounds as if you live in a place with infrequent bus services, have to go to a central point then have to go to another place with infrequent public transport.

People are not redundant, jobs are. The argument would be - is a 90 minute one way commute reasonable? If you accept the offer of a paid taxi for 2/3 months, then when that ceases, getting to work will be your responsibility and redundancy will not apply as your job will not be redundant
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a bike and it'll take you less than half an hour each way, plus you'd gain some fitness.
    No doubt an excuse will be incoming....
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I commute 6 miles on bike, mostly on road though there are bus lanes and the routes for bikes into the city are being improved and it takes me 30 minutes - I am an experienced cyclist and could probably do it faster but we have no shower. A new cyclist would taking longer than that
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    For a commute investing in a good electric bike can make the trip very manageable.

I used a bike for work years ago and it was surprisingly low the number of times the weather was a real problem where it was uncomfortable to the point of wishing there was an alternative.

the other option may be car pooling, this could be a part walk/cycle/bus... then the lift but this introduces dependencies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure