Always paid off my credit card in full but suddenly getting charged interest

Options
dogleish
dogleish Posts: 62 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 2 October 2019 at 1:32PM in Credit cards
So for years I've had the Halifax Clarity Credit Card and I've been really happy with it. I've always paid it off in full every month via direct debit and have never been charged interest. However, I was looking at a recent statement and noticed that I've been charged interest. I checked a few other statements and it seems that I've been charged interest since July (despite paying off the balance in full as I have always done).

Has this happened to anyone else? Should this be happening? Perhaps Halifax told me they were changing things but I don't remember receiving anything.

Edit: It turns out I withdrew cash and completely forgot about it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The most likely explanation is that you're performing cash transactions.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dogleish wrote: »
    So for years I've had the Halifax Clarity Credit Card and I've been really happy with it. I've always paid it off in full every month via direct debit and have never been charged interest. However, I was looking at a recent statement and noticed that I've been charged interest. I checked a few other statements and it seems that I've been charged interest since July (despite paying off the balance in full as I have always done).

Has this happened to anyone else? Should this be happening? Perhaps Halifax told me they were changing things but I don't remember receiving anything.

Are you withdrawing cash - either in the UK or abroad?
  • dogleish
    Options
    Nope, I never withdraw cash.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does have to be withdrawing cash - can also be quai cash transactions (gambling, currency, etc).
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Gambling? Buying foreign currency the stupid way (ie from a UK BDC)? They treat these as cash and charge immediate interest.
  • dogleish
    Options
    Ack sorry, it turns out that I did actually withdraw cash (what a scatterbrain), so yep that makes sense now! Thanks for the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure