Thirty something dreaming of not paying mortgage

Options

Comments

• kaycastle
    kaycastle Posts: 358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You are really getting on top of this whole MF thing now... I love reading your diary!

Boo to the insurance payment, but yay to having cancelled now. Look forwards not backwards..... even lok at what that £28 per month would do to the mortgage :)

Keep it up!

MM
    x

Aww thanks :) x

Yeh he got told off from me haha, I've helped him write a complaint in so we'll see whether anything comes of that. You're right though, at least its gone now. I found it incredible but I tried not to be too harsh on him. He was really helpful today and I explained the pensions and mortgage things to him and he was really onboard.
  • kaycastle
    Options
    Quick update while on my way home.
    The train was super super delayed today so I submitted a goodly delay repay form. I like getting that money back from all these silly delays yay :) fingerscrossed.
    I had catch up with work on pensions and found i can increase my contribution but they won't at all and won't get anything for their NI savings but I'm going to raise that and get as many people asking about that as I can.

The main thing is that I can definitely increase mine and I can change it whenever I like. The salary sacrifice will be in place from April. And we find out pay rises by end of this month.

So what I need to do now is put in a spreadsheet session, reread advice on here and work out what I can afford for:
    Savings
    Pension
    Mortgage ops
    The occasional holiday in uk and city breaks as fun is still needed

Keeping in mind that 6 months from now we will be remortgaging. We want a new kitchen within the next 18 months. A loft conversion within the next 5-10 years for family.
    And we want our mortgage to end in our 40s. Earlier if possible. And retirement at 50. And 2 kids.

I better get busy haha
  • kaycastle
    Options
    Update from me today :)
    Spent £27 at the Butchers today - proper stocked up :) And got plenty of eggs for pancakes...yummy.

I've been working on my spreadsheet - taking it very slowly and making it all pretty and perfect.
    I started with a tab that states our goals with target dates.
    Then I moved on to the mortgage and working out all the payments and interests and loan remaining with overpayments etc. and did fancy things :)
    And now I'm working out income/budget and whats left over before I do savings/pensions and final mortgage split.

This playing with spreadsheets is making me very happy. But now my tummy is grumbling and I must make dinner.
  • kaycastle
    Options
    Just a quick update from me while my train is delayed again :)

I'm being awarded 2.40 from my delay repay on Monday. Yay.:beer:

I've cancelled my gym so the final payment will be on April 1st. That will be a lovely saving. And done while waiting for late train.
    Also I'm at my lowest weight in years from cutting back on alcohol a bit and eating healthily, haven't been to gym in months and have lost way more than I ever did. Will really start to increased my exercise at home now and weights. I feel good. :j

I made good progress on my spreadsheet early this morning. Aiming to finish by end of weekend and will share details then.
  • kaycastle
    Options
    Firstly I have got £4.80 back from delay repay on the trains this week. Ooooh yes :) I cancelled Gym with my final payment being in April. And I'm at the lowest weight I've ever been in years. Yay :)

So a goodly weekend update from me. I've pretty much finished my new shiny spreadsheet which has budget, savings, mortgage and pension calculations in. And takes into account larger amounts needed for house improvements and other bits :)

:j
    I haven't taken into account pay rises, house value increasing, being able to increase savings once mortgage has come off or even interest. Because I think if I don't take into account the increases in income then I'll be alright for the decreases caused by bills, kids etc. and they are harder to predict. There are of course unexpected events which is why I want to be paying off my main expense super early while sorting out retirement and savings.

We are on track to:
    • Have a healthy pension income at 55 and an even healthier one at state pension age. With our increases up to 14% for me and 10% for other half. This does leave us short in larger expenditure months by about £205 each year. But I haven't taken into account the "cushion" amounts in our current accounts at the moment, frugality in these months and the fact that we do put away £850 savings every month between us so I think this will work out fine and not affect our savings goals if we dip into for this small amount.
    • Be mortgage free by 40 I reckon. With currently planned over payments I'm about 3 years off with my continued £300 OP each month but I haven't taken into account pay rises or more savings diverted into here once all the improvements done or mortgage payments going down and OPs going up. So I'm sure we will be well within this.
    • On track to overpay about £9000 this June to ensure we are sub 75% on LTV. Also on track for similar larger overpayments over next few years. This will be the largest one required though.
    • On track to have dream kitchen 2020
    • On track for loft conversion in 2025
    • Taking into account all the above, if we stay with current saving amount we're on track to have almost £250k by the age of 50 as well. So we could easily thrive on that until 55 and have enough for decrease in pension if we stop working early. But that doesn't take into account that as soon as that mortgage is paid we'll be throwing everything at our savings and pensions. With it coming out so high, I think we should be okay to dip into this of course over the years for any larger holidays.

In the next couple of years I'll keep savings in highest interest regular savers, the ones that are like 3%-5% while we have the smaller kitchen goal. And then I think once we remortgage in 2021 which I think we will move up to 5 years if interest good (as that might be period when we think kids) I'll start introducing ISAs for the larger amounts building up.

Naturally I'll be doing a lot of staring at my spreadsheet but I think the only times I'll need to rejig it is:
    - Any major income changes
    - If we ever move anything unexpected out of our savings
    - Each time we remortgage, to put in new amounts
    - When we have kids
    - When we pay off mortgage (see if we can get that retirement age below 50 even :p ) :T
  • LeighofMar
    LeighofMar Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done. Sounds like you're super organized and ready to tackle this journey head on.
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance  - $4600.00
    Business Savings $43,310/100k
    Hope to be mortgage-free by end of 2023 
  • twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm so jealous we didn't do this at your age - but then I didn't know my DH then so it was a bit impossible. :rotfl:

Looking forward to following your journey.
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 May 37
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Wow loving all your plans and spreadsheets. I spend hours of fun spreadsheet fiddling......I really must get out more !
  • kaycastle
    Options
    Thank you all :) I'm really glad I started being active on here to talk to like minded people as none of my friends are on the same page. it's been a good couple of weeks of financial planning during these rainy weekends.

I've had a good day. Made many many flapjacks from odds and ends in the cupboards. Felt good and they are so tasty.

Also cleaned the house from top to bottom. But I think my husband is planning some big diy tomorrow and I have a feeling our home might be about to turn to chaos. For the better...but I think this might be the last night of tidy in a while. I have a feeling we might get carried away with diy tomorrow...
    Going to wash and then have a beer from free load of beer we got a couple of weeks ago and finally relax a bit.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2019 at 8:52PM
    Options
    Hi :hello:Just popped over from my diary to yours :)
    kaycastle wrote: »
    My money left over for food/entertainment each month:
    £563.58

I know where £65.98 of that could go ;)any guesses ??

Mortgage is at £215,765.98 as of February.

See above ;):DYou won't miss it, will you :think:

With my over payments apparently I'll be mortgage free 7 years earlier (if I've calculated correctly) so some time around 2036 when I am 44 but I want to aim for below 40. If that's even possible somehow.

This calculator helped me, was always tapping in different figures until I got a result I was happy with.

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Happy tapping.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure