Dental Bridge over a gap of 2 missing teeth-Can it be done?

Options

Comments

• Kashif
    Kashif Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I miss upper front two teeth (lost one recently). I asked my dentist if I could get a 4 unit bridge, but she said it is not feasible and may damage existing teeth. Better to go for Implant.

So I am thinking of getting two implants, possibly from abroad. Any suggestions plz?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nobody heard of maryland bridges?
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Kashif wrote: »
    I miss upper front two teeth (lost one recently). I asked my dentist if I could get a 4 unit bridge, but she said it is not feasible and may damage existing teeth. Better to go for Implant.

So I am thinking of getting two implants, possibly from abroad. Any suggestions plz?

Don't get implants abroad. It is a long process and even in the best hands things can go wrong, from healing caps coming off to lab work needing redoing. The process can take months. It's not easy to pop back to a dentist to have a temporary resented if they are abroad and no dentist in the U.K. will touch work that has been done overseas .

Also it is very difficult if not impossible to get redress if things go wrong abroad.
  • brook2jack
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Nobody heard of maryland bridges?

Adhesive bridges (Maryland are a type of adhesive bridge) are not very successful when replacing more than one tooth. They can be used as a temporary measure but are not a long term solution.

They work best when replacing one tooth in an area that is not under much stress and even then can come off.
  • Kashif
    Options
    I agree Book2Jack.

The issue is, cost in UK is prohibitively expensive.
  • brook2jack
    Options
    An implant is a treatment that can , potentially with maintainence and good care, last decades.

However many factors can affect its long term success. Some of these are in your control eg
    Don't smoke
    Get eg diabetes under control
    Keep any gum disease under control as it can affect implants
    Tackle any grinding issues

Some of these are due to the quality and quantity of bone available

Some of these are down to the dentist who places the implants , what sort of implants are used, how the implants are restored afterwards ie the crowns or bridges that are placed on them , the angle the implants are placed in .

Some of these can just be down to plain bad luck and even in the most skilled of hands implants can fail.

Once you factor in travel over several visits , time off work etc the savings on two implants will be little , if they exist at all.

Saving a little longer for treatment from a recommended implantologist in the U.K. is but a small blip compared to the length of time the implants are hoped to last.
  • Kashif
    Options
    Hmmmm. You are making me think again.

The cheapest single implant I could find in UK is £900.Unless someone can point to any cheaper.....
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Buying medical services on price alone is not the best way to go about it.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Kashif
    Options
    Another issue; one dentist is proposing a bridge of 5 units on front upper teeth (instead of implants). But my own dentist did not like the idea. But I believe it is a good idea. Because all of my font teeth involved are already crowned, so i wont lose anything.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Kashif wrote: »
    Another issue; one dentist is proposing a bridge of 5 units on front upper teeth (instead of implants). But my own dentist did not like the idea. But I believe it is a good idea. Because all of my font teeth involved are already crowned, so i wont lose anything.

There are very few absolutes in dentistry - and if you go to 5 different dentists, you might well get several different ways to solve the same 'problem'.

Any dentist who examines you. though, will have a huge advantage over anyone sitting by a keyboard, whether they are a dentist or not!

No-one ever died from a few gaps in their teeth - so doing absolutely nothing is a perfectly valid option for you. At the other extreme, you could go to a high-end 'cosmetic' practice and come out with a treatment plan that involves vast amounts of porcelain, whitening, botox, fillers, and having to remortgage your house to pay for it all!

You have to choose what you feel comfortable with, with a dentist you feel you can trust, and with a price you are happy to pay. If you get a treatment plan which ticks these boxes, then that is the one to go for.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure