MSE News: Legal battle launched over solar subsidy cuts

Options

Comments

• The_Pixi
    The_Pixi Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    whasup wrote: »
    The subsidy is called the 'feed in tarif'. (or FIT) Which means you get paid an amount for the electricity you feed back into the grid. Dreadfully inefficient though. My advice is look into solar water heating. Much cheaper, you don't have the huge array of panels on the roof that will devalue your house and the product (a tank of hot water) can be used any time.

With regards to the subsidy I don't get it, sounds like it just what the energy company was willing to pay, and to that end I don't call it a subsidy it's a transaction for good sold.

However that aside I still think I'd like them, the water heating thing I have seen on tv before and it looked interesting - when I do get that house I will look in to all the options, though i still think I'd use solar, if it devalues the house is not important, they're coming with me if I move anyway:)

Interesting story though, thanks for the info
    Mortgage Balance £182,789.00 of £259,250.00 Overpayment Total £48,847.13
    Monthly payment down £258.82 Overpaid last month £1096.38
    End of month 11/2017
  • tr8
    tr8 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pete_v wrote: »
    Good. I have no desire for my taxes to pay for other people's electricity.

If domestic solar panels can be made economically viable, then great. But if they're not, the rest of us should not be paying people to install them. Let them stand on their own two feet like any other form of energy.

Pete

Get Real.
    No green issues will stand on their own.
    They all cost a fortune including wind turbines, the cost of low co2 cars,etc etc.
    So Stop all green stuff and let the planet Died!!!!!

Also the cost is FAR LESS than the government take in VAT.
    :money:
  • whasup
    whasup Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    The_Pixi wrote: »
    With regards to the subsidy I don't get it, sounds like it just what the energy company was willing to pay, and to that end I don't call it a subsidy it's a transaction for good sold

No, the amount you get paid is fixed for a minimum period. (25 years) That's what all the fuss is about. The amount was a bit more than 40p/kWh and it's just been cut in half to 21p. So you get that just for having the system regardless of what it produces or how (in)efficient it is. On top of that you do get paid another small amount for the actual amount spare electricity you feed back in to the grid but it's peanuts compared to the FIT.

The reason the FIT was cut was because only a tiny amount of it was going to real people. Most of it was being hoovered up by big corporate's - pension and insurance companies etc. - who were funding companies to persuade people to let them put systems on their roof (for no payment whatsoever) and then sitting back and raking in 8% or 9% on the money for the next 25 years. All index linked, zero risk - and paid for by you and me.
  • pebsham
    pebsham Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with most comments regarding the system of FITS etc as a cost even the poor have to suffer to benefit the middle classes and large corporations.

However, does anybody really think that by reducing FITS (or even removing them) ANYBODY will actually see a reduction in their energy costs?

If "the poor" were able to have access to "free" solar panels as offered by some solar companies at least they might save a couple of hundred pounds a year and remove a small amount of front-line generation.

Also in the future there may be an economical way to "store" alternative energy and thus benefit all users.
    Trying................yes really trying
  • The_Pixi
    The_Pixi Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Right, got it.

I have to say that that sounds like a bizarre set-up, I genuinely was interested in solar for the prospect of reducing my energy use from a supplier - thereby shrink my bill.

I also liked the idea of having some power during a power cut, or the previously stated zombie invasion:)

Well looks like I missed the boat on this one, just like

*free university education
    *the house price boom
    *shares in the sale of UK plc
    *easy mortgage acceptance

One has to hope some advantageous money making scheme will be thought up by the government in the next 10-15 years where I can benefit for a change :)
    Mortgage Balance £182,789.00 of £259,250.00 Overpayment Total £48,847.13
    Monthly payment down £258.82 Overpaid last month £1096.38
    End of month 11/2017
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    pebsham wrote: »
    I agree with most comments regarding the system of FITS etc as a cost even the poor have to suffer to benefit the middle classes and large corporations.

However, does anybody really think that by reducing FITS (or even removing them) ANYBODY will actually see a reduction in their energy costs?

The FIT is paid directly by a levy on electricity companies.
    Where do you think this money comes from?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    pebsham wrote: »

If "the poor" were able to have access to "free" solar panels as offered by some solar companies at least they might save a couple of hundred pounds a year and remove a small amount of front-line generation.

No there will most certainly not be a reduction in energy costs! Those who managed to get this stupidly high rate of subsidy will get it inflation linked for the next 25 years.

The whole point of the Government acting to cut FIT was to stop prices rising higher, which would be caused by paying out even more subsidies.

The 'poor' getting 'free' systems'(as you put it) from these firms would have to be house owners. Excluded are those who rent, live in flats, have unsuitable roofs etc.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 December 2011 at 5:06PM
    Options
    So you are paid for electricity you generate yourself?
    Yes.
    I saw the panels as a way of generating free electricity whilst selling off excess, by generating free energy I reduced my bill?
    Yes. And you're also paid for the energy you're using. So you save one chunk of money on your bill and under the old rates were paid around three times as much of that saving as well.
    And to the people in the room hands up who thinks their bill will be reduced if this 'subsidy' payment thing is reduced?
    It'll be reduced for everyone except those who have the solar systems installed. Provided the total amount of the subsidy is reduced, not just the same amount of money spread around more people.
    With regards to the subsidy I don't get it, sounds like it just what the energy company was willing to pay, and to that end I don't call it a subsidy it's a transaction for good sold.
    They can buy electricity wholesale for 5p per kWh or less. They only way they will pay 35p/kWh to buy it from you is if they were forced to do it. And they are. For the next 25 years for those who got systems installed. With the bill being picked up by the rest of us.

So no, not a free market, they are forced to buy at a ridiculously high price.
    tr8 wrote: »
    No green issues will stand on their own.
    Some low end hydro systems might stand on their own. Photovoltaic solar probably will eventually if current pricing trends of a rising overcapacity of production and reducing subsidies worldwide continue.
  • raider
    raider Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    I also liked the idea of having some power during a power cut, or the previously stated zombie invasion:)

Grid-Tie Inverters applicable in most SolarPV installations switch off during power cuts. Although there are battery backup inverters that will provide some energy, but naturally cost more.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BBC is currently reporting as breaking news that the govt change in the tariffs was "legally flawed"

Eek!

Matt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family