PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Clarification on 'no DSS'

Options
Hi,

I'm looking to move to another rented property closer to family. I work part-time and claim Working and Child tax credits. Does this come under DSS or is it just Housing Benefit that does? I've searched the net for answers but not finding the answer I'm looking for 🙄

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's probably because the Department for Social Security was dissolved in 2001.
  • bob_bank_spanker
    Options
    Doesn't exist.

Say you aren't "DSS". How on earth would they disprove it?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it's a private landlord, it will depend on circumstances. Some BTL mortgages won't allow non-working tenants. Also, buildings insurance tends to be higher for non working tenants.

Working, but claiming tax credits is often ok, worth asking the agent or landlord in your situation.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "no DSS" is, as you, realise a generic term but there is no cast iron definition of it because in the 2 main contexts in which it is used the meaning of it is down to the interpretation of either the LL or their lender, and neither of them will publish what they think it means

a) Lenders may, for example, impose in their mortgage terms and conditions a no "benefit claimant" rule as a condition of granting the mortgage to the LL. How the lender defines "benefits" is something you would have to ask the lender - which is obviously impossible for you to do

b) landlords may have a prejudiced view ranging from anyone who cannot pay their way purely from salary, through anyone who has some tax credits to anyone who depends on housing benefit to cover the majority of the rent. Again there is no legal definition of "benefits" and unless you ask each LL you won't know what they think they mean
  • Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is an interesting article from The Guardian about 'No DSS'. https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2012/may/02/tenants-housing-benefit-private-landlords

The author, David Lawrenson narrows it down to 7 reasons:
    The seven reasons why landlords won't let to tenants on benefits
    First published on Wednesday 2 May 2012 09.32 BST. By David Lawrenson.
    1. Payment in arrears
    When letting to tenants who depend on the allowance, assuming the LHA (Local Housing Allowance) can even be paid direct to the landlord (which is not always the case following changes to the system in 2008), the payments are nearly always made in arrears. This compares unfavourably with a private letting where the rent is paid a calendar monthly in advance, which means a better cash flow for landlords.

2. Deposits
    Tenants who are dependent on housing benefit often do not have a deposit they can hand over to the landlord to protect. And even where local government can help with a deposit, private landlords often tell us that council schemes are cumbersome, slow to administer and claim against in the event of damages caused by tenants.

3. Red tape
    The administration of housing benefit can be slow and involve lots of form filling. Payments can start and stop without notice, and councils retain the right to try to claw back past payments from landlords if it later emerges that their tenant was claiming fraudulently – even if the landlord was unaware of a change in the tenant's circumstances.

4. Attitudes
    However wrongly, a minority of private sector landlords still believe that tenants claiming housing benefit are more likely miss rental payments or to not look after properties properly. We are working to change that perception.

5. Insurance traps
    Buildings and contents insurance premiums are often higher where a landlord lets to people dependent on the Local Housing Allowance. Sometimes insurance is refused to landlords altogether. Central government must challenge the insurance industry on whether such inflated premiums are justified by claims records.

6. Buy-to-let mortgages
    Scandalously, some buy-to-let mortgage loan terms and conditions do not allow landlords to let to tenants on any kind of benefits or income support. Government should challenge the lenders on this.

7. Constant change
    Finally, the array of changes to the housing benefit system, rates of payment and rules over the last four years has left landlords feeling confused. Rather than trying to understand something that keeps changing, many private landlords simply opt out instead.

Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bonkers:. MOST - more than 50% - of UK adults are on one sort of benefit or other.

The ignorance & stupidity of some landlords, agents & others is breathtaking.

Best regards
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Bonkers:. MOST - more than 50% - of UK adults are on one sort of benefit or other.

The ignorance & stupidity of some landlords, agents & others is breathtaking.

Best regards

Shouldnt mean a landlord is forced to rent to them.

If there was a choice between employed person with no kids, and a DSS person with kids its a no brainer for me.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    'No DSS' means exactly what the person who writes in their advert believes it to mean.

All you can do is ask (either what they meant, or whether they'll grant you a tenancy).
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you could read this as someone who can't pay all of the rent and everything else on their wages and tax credits but needs extra money from somewhere else. If you can afford to pay all the rent by using your pay and tax credits then I can't see why there would be a problem. The problem will only arise if you don't earn enough with your pay and tax credits to pay the rent and all your other costs without claiming anything else. No DSS is often shorthand for people needing some sort of benefit to allow them to afford the rent.
  • Epeck
    Epeck Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This really clears things up for me. I currently private rent (deposit paid and full rent payments are made on time monthly) I'm assuming this will help with the decision of the agent/landlord.

Thanks again for the replies! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport