PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Birthday present for a 93 year old lady

Options

Comments

• hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A few people have mentioned photo albums. Perhaps a photo book would be an idea, you can get them made up online and printed out relatively cheaply and they are much easier to hold as not nearly as heavy as an album. Also means that if there is only one copy of a certain old photograph, the owner of the photo can still keep it, as you can just upload a scan. My mum has made up some of these in the past for elderly relatives and they have gone down well.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I made my Dad a scrapbook for his 80th birthday. Not just photographs but various other things that I'd come across while researching my family tree-copies of letters, newspaper cuttings, his father's military records . I did include family photographs but also included photos of the village where he grew up and our old house.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If possible and she is alert and has a good memory try to get her to name and hopefully date some old photo's,often they are shoved in a drawer and forgotten and then thrown away(eventually)as a fairly keen genealogist I have photo's of relatives that sadly I can no longer date or name as they were from before I was born .My sis-in-law got her late Mum to do this and it was so helpful when eventually she wanted me to work up her 'family tree' as I could put a photo to a name and the same in reverse.It also is good to try and get some memories down of places and people.Often older people can remember far more from their youth than they can from a fortnight ago.Get her involved in the task and it will help keep her interest alive and give the other old folk something different to talk about when your not there.I have a very elderly friend who is in a home and often I ask her about her life in the 1920s ans she can remember lots of ordinary stuff about clothes and food and even recipes and what her Mother cooked for her large family of 13 children.To me its living history which will be lost after she has gone
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    How is her eye sight? My son bought our very elderly neighbour one of those big magnifying glasses that has a string to go around your neck.
    The magnifier sits on the readers chest and stays over whatever they have in their lap. He got it in the craft shop and she loved it for her reading and craft work.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Given some of the over 90s I know I'd suggest a test drive day in a sportscar round Brands Hatch!!! However, if your lovely Aunt is mobile enough to be able to accompany you out on a trip would you both like an Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel? that way you could both share the experience and she'd be out of her home and the centre of attention for her birthday, it's something we enjoy as a real treat once in a while, Lyn xxx.
  • freya18th
    freya18th Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for some brilliant suggestions I will have to decided which to use.
  • NoGoodNamesLeft
    Options
    Would she be able to use a Kindle? There are loads of free books available, but maybe a bit modern for a 93 year old?
  • cydney65
    cydney65 Posts: 829 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Would she be able to use a Kindle? There are loads of free books available, but maybe a bit modern for a 93 year old?

My 92 year old father has just bought himself a tablet and a new Windows 8 laptop-I'm dead jealous as I only have Windows 7! He's busying himself emailing dirty jokes to the whole family:eek:
    TOTAL DEBT @ LBM : 17082.66 DEBT FREE 7/01/13 Save 12K in 2019 No. 63; Jan £816.08 Total £816.08/£5000 :o Penny a Day £108.50 We all grow old, use your life, the world goes and flutters by
  • AnyaD_2
    Options
    I purchased a book from The NY Times for my aunt on her 90th birthday. It has the front page of the newspaper from her date of birth and every birthday after. The book itself is leather and embossed with her name. She loves reading and reliving historic events. Everyone at the nursing home seems to enjoy sharing their memories. You can also just get the front page of the day she was born or any other important date at a much lower cost.
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought the MIL a thick quilt and quiltcovers and also a large cuddly dog. She absolutely loves it and it has pride of place in her room
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure