PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Birthday present for a 93 year old lady

Options
My Aunt is in a rest home and will be 93 soon I am at a loss what to get for her. Last year I got a her a magazine subscription and also her wordsearch which I will keep on. She reads books which I get from the charity shops for her. She uses a frame and needs help getting up so she is not very mobile. Any sugestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you get her some book sets from the book people? They are quite reasonably priced and some good authors.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe you could make up a pamper hamper....nice basket filled with her favourite toiletries,a few choccy treats and a book.
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    Does she have any favourite biscuits or other kind of 'nibbly treat'?

Could you recreate a very nice 'Afternoon Tea' for her and a couple of close relatives in her bedroom at the Rest Home? Some favourite dainty sandwiches and tiny cakes that will 'tempt/tickle' the taste-buds without overpowering them.

Does anybody in the family have any old photos that she may not have seen - maybe some copies of them with pretty frames or a small photo album would be a nice idea. I was recently given a copy of a photo that my mum had never seen (from her older brother's wedding album) - it was of herself, her mum, an older sister and her four younger brothers. The only one missing from it was one older sister who was the chief bridesmaid on that occasion. The other person missing was her dad who wouldn't go because the wedding was in a RC Church and he refused to go in there - silly man! I got a lovely frame for the photo and mum was delighted with it.

How about some really comfortable microfibre-lined slippers - I've got a pair and they are like slipping my feet into a cloud of cotton wool :).
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could ask the staff at the rest home, as they will know what other residents like or find useful.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A bed jacket for when she's sitting in bed reading.

An arrangement of pretty/artificial flowers (they don't need looking after etc, which might be too much /tricky).

A nice bed cover - not a full throw/duvet as her washing will be taken care of, but a small cheery counterpane that sits on top of all the regular bedding.

A comfy/large cushion for when she's sitting up in bed (reading) - but not so heavy/dense that she can't manhandle it herself.
  • gsymoo
    gsymoo Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    My gran is 90 and in a home. Its hard to know what to get but in the past she's liked a selection of cards and stamps. She's always sending birthday cards, get well soon and thank you cards but can't get to the shops so I got a selection (must have nice verses!)

Also her favourite wafers, chocolate and they use a lot of bubble bath (but especially in small bottles that would fit in her toiletry bag)
  • PinkTiger
    PinkTiger Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You said she uses a walker so would something like this be useful to put her books etc in when going from room to room-

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/walking-frame-apron-bag.html

I realise it's more practical than exciting but you could put things she likes in the pockets, new book, box of chocs, handcream etc.
    'there goes an old transexual, last seen heading south,
    her friends call her Bernie but her real name is Ralph'
    Felicia, Priscilla Queen of the Desert
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you are in a position to do it, and the lady has eyesight....

I made up an album of photos for my great aunt, similar position to your relative.... We had photos of when she was a kid, her wedding, and so on.

She liked it a lot. And actually so did everyone visiting. It was agreat conversation opener, and nostalgia too.

Just a thought.
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Electronic photo frame so the photos change regularly

Spoken word books

Some time just for her make a fuss maybe a manicure or even just a hand massage
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 July 2014 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Could you take her out somwhere for a change? My 95 year old grandmother was desperate to get out of the same 4 walls, and even though it was uncomfortable for her she thought it was well worth the effort.
    We'd borrow a wheelchair from the home, book a wheelchair taxi to the shopping centre and do the things she used to do - into debenhams to test out the perfumes, a mooch round the shops, then finishing off with tea and cake somewhere nice. She'd far rather do than than be given a gift, even though she was very frail and had lost her sight.
    There's only so many bed jackets, chocolates and smellies one person needs, and she'd give most of what she was bought away. Having said that, the sherry went down well.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure