Buying house with Boyfriend but only his name on the mortgage...how can I protect me?

Options

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    no1catman wrote: »

I'm a bit suspicious of the guy here, is he telling her 'fake facts' for his own ends!?
    Perhaps, she should seek independent advice.

Me too; in the 80s the world was full of joint mortgages and non working wives
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're not actually buying a house with your boyfriend. You're helping your boyfriend to buy himself a house.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me too; in the 80s the world was full of joint mortgages and non working wives

She's not his wife and he won't get the mortgage if she and her childr were living there.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All,

but I need to know I'd be protected somehow should it go south.

You're not protected. He could leave you tomorrow, walk out and never call you again, and happily buy his house with the money you gave him as a present.

It'd be no different if you split up tomorrow and expected him to give back to you anything you'd bought him for his birthday, ie he doesn't have to. In fact worse, because he's actually got a legal document from you saying the money's a gift with no obligation to repay.

He could do this now or in five years time, just one morning telling you to get out of his house.

Or he could be run over by a bus, and if there's no will leaving it to you the house automatically goes to his next of kin (likely his parents) and they tell you to leave because they want to sell.

So the question is: how much do you trust him? How serious do you think this relationship is? And if the answer is that it is very serious and you trust him, why not get married or wait and buy together?
  • leespot
    leespot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    You're not protected. He could leave you tomorrow, walk out and never call you again, and happily buy his house with the money you gave him as a present.

It'd be no different if you split up tomorrow and expected him to give back to you anything you'd bought him for his birthday, ie he doesn't have to. In fact worse, because he's actually got a legal document from you saying the money's a gift with no obligation to repay.

He could do this now or in five years time, just one morning telling you to get out of his house.

Or he could be run over by a bus, and if there's no will leaving it to you the house automatically goes to his next of kin (likely his parents) and they tell you to leave because they want to sell.

So the question is: how much do you trust him? How serious do you think this relationship is? And if the answer is that it is very serious and you trust him, why not get married or wait and buy together?

If he died intestate his estate goes to his children in equal shares. His parents get nothing.

OP - you have no protection in any of this, including the £3500 on your credit card. He isn't obliged to give you a penny back of any of the money if your relationship goes wrong.
  • DarkShadow
    DarkShadow Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    Get married.

If you were 1% serious of the relationship, you wouldnt agree to a live in arrangement. EIther marry and live together as a team or part ways and be friends.
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 17 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    leespot wrote: »
    If he died intestate his estate goes to his children in equal shares. His parents get nothing.

Oops, you're correct, I'd forgotten he has a child.

Either way it won't be going to the OP without a will.
  • leespot
    Options
    Oops, you're correct, I'd forgotten he has a child.

Either way it won't be going to the OP without a will.

I'd personally not be putting too much emphasis on the will either. He can create the will to reflect what the OP is asking for, but nothing to stop him changing it once he has the keys to the house (or if the relationship goes wrong). OP - proceed with caution, you are putting yourself and your children in a really tight spot should anything to wrong with the relationship.
  • Rachel83
    Rachel83 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You can get married for under £300 much easier to set your mind at ease!
  • leespot
    Options
    Getting married isn't going to make all that much difference to be honest, still doesn't automatically mean she's entitled to the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure