Buying house with Boyfriend but only his name on the mortgage...how can I protect me?

Options

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Can't you be named on the mortgage and deeds with a nil income?

Strange.
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Strange.

You can, but they'll be pretending she isn't going to be living there as if she said she was then he'd fail the affordability test. If this wasn't the case then they'd just buy together and disregard his income.

In short, she's taking a big risk.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's really not 'Buying house with Boyfriend but only his name on the mortgage', it's 'My Boyfriend is buying a house in his sole name and I am giving him money to enable him to do this'.
    Also, if he tells the mortgage company that you (and any other person 18+, including children) are going to be living there you will have to sign a document stating no residential rights in case he doesn't pay the mortgage and they need to evict you.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • davidwood123
    davidwood123 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    For the sake of £5000 your boyfriend should just pay you it back asap and both of you start to enjoy living together.

It's not as if you're married
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Doing things the way you are you cannot protect yourself. You are leaving a big open goal by being dishonest in order for your boyfriend to secure a mortgage. Why the big rush now? Some lenders accept self-employed people's income with 1 years of accounts, some 2 years and the majority 3 years.

Hopefully in 2 or 3 years, whenever your boyfriend's mortgage deal comes to and end, you will be able to apply for a joint mortgage with him and can then have a declaration of trust drawn up. Alternatively you could just get married.
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    Get married?

It's by far the easiest way to give you the protection that you are after.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has your boyfriend made a will, passing the house to you, or does he intend to do so? If not, then in the event of his death you will have no automatic claim on his estate: his children will inherit equal shares if he is intestate.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We both put into the bills 50/50 and will in the new house including the mortgage.

We are not married or engaged as yet although hope to be in the future, but I need to know I'd be protected somehow should it go south.

Not just for me or even my daughter who is 20 now, but mostly for my disabled son.

Not married and not on the deeds and with a disabled child - you could be given 24 hours to get out of the house if the relationship went wrong. Before you put any more money into your OH's house, make sure you build up a fund big enough to pay for emergency accommodation and a deposit on a rental, etc.

If he doesn't write a will now leaving the house - or part of it - to you, you will have big problems if he dies young.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Get married, get your deposit back, or accept you've just given him an awful lot of money as a gift.

You can't be a knowing party to mortgage fraud and then expect protection from the law.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Strange.

Yes, my Partner had no income few assets - when we moved from terraced house, to a semi, no problem with the Building Society with the offset mortgage pass books given in both names.
    No problem with conveyancer, either.

Mortgage paid off early, a decade on still here.

I'm a bit suspicious of the guy here, is he telling her 'fake facts' for his own ends!?
    Perhaps, she should seek independent advice.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport