We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Birds in my garden

Options
2»

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you just prompted me to get my bat detector out - might be too early though, couldn't hear anything yet

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    you just prompted me to get my bat detector out - might be too early though, couldn't hear anything yet

We've had bats about in the evenings for a couple of weeks now.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I was really excited to have a song thrush on my feeders - making it look really difficult - but I wish it wouldn’t sit outside my bedroom window and sing from 4am for several hours each morning. It’s fond of mimicking sirens and alarms!
  • unrecordings
    Options
    I heard a really interesting nugget many years ago, I think from a BBC documentary, I hope true because I find it fascinating: That spring moves north across the UK at walking pace - it evokes such a wonderful image in my mind. I didn't hear any bats last night, but two weeks ago in Devon, means they should be active round here very soon (or more active - I maybe should have listened out from about 8pm last night rather than 9pm)

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I heard a really interesting nugget many years ago, I think from a BBC documentary, I hope true because I find it fascinating: That spring moves north across the UK at walking pace - it evokes such a wonderful image in my mind. I didn't hear any bats last night, but two weeks ago in Devon, means they should be active round here very soon (or more active - I maybe should have listened out from about 8pm last night rather than 9pm)
    It's more complex than that, though.

Where I am isn't especially mild, but it's not harsh.

So, if I drive south or north west for 20 miles, I see spring as it will be at home in another week to ten days.

However, if I go due north 15 miles, I can go back about a week.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    I was thinking about that - the documentary was possibly one of those walking travelogues based on Watling Street or whatever - it just conjured such a wonderful image

• phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 April 2019 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    We've had bats about in the evenings for a couple of weeks now.

Ours have been around for about a week. We have many of the birds already mentioned plus we have a pair of Nuthatches nesting in the thick stone walls of our cottage. They were there in the same hole last year too :D I'm tempted to leave the gap for them when we repoint with lime....although that won't be for a while.

All I can hear right now is birdsong - and the occasional lamb - but we are very rural here.....
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a very small selection of birds that visit our garden but I love all our visitors. We have 3 bird tables, 2 ground feeders and several feeders hanging from balcony and tree. We have our regular sparrows, robin, black birds, tits and occasional a linnet plus collared doves and Sid the seagull (who is a wonderful character). The black birds have cost me a small fortune in grapes over the last few weeks but don't begrudge a penny. They bring me so much joy.
  • Juilet799
    Options
    In my yard, the feeders attract many birds. Especially Upside Down Thistle Feeders attract many finches, the upside-down design allows a nice view of the feeding birds.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 November 2020 at 2:10PM
    Options
    We moved to our current address (on the outskirts of the Black Country, less than a mile from open countryside) in April 2018.
    I've no doubt forgotten some but birds we've seen in our garden include: 

Common visitors
    Goldfinches (easily the most common)
    Chaffinches
    Bullfinches (oddly there were huge numbers of them our first summer here, almost as common as the goldfinches but a lot less this year and last, not sure why)
    Greenfinches
    Blue tits
    Great tits
    Wood pigeons
    Collared doves
    Blackbird
    Starling
    Crows/rooks (never been able to tell the difference)
    Magpies
    Sparrows

Occasional visitors
    Greater spotted woodpecker
    Song thrush
    Ravens
    Coal tits

Rare visitors
    Jays
    Sparrowhawks
    A buzzard (only seen once, perched on the stump of tall leylandi which had recently had it's top lopped off by a tree surgeon)

Flying overhead but never seen on the ground from the garden we regularly see geese and ducks, plus the occasional kestrel and swallow. I've also heard owls in the evening but never seen one and there's quite a few bats around here, often see them when we're sat outside on warm summer evenings.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback