Plevin Success, But Changed Address Since Other PPI Claims

Options
Good afternoon,

I'd lost touch with all this PPI stuff having submitted, and in most cases been successful in claiming back PPI on a number of long-closed accounts. Today, I received a letter from Santander offering me £175 for a refund in relation to commission on an old Dorothy Perkins storecard.

This has obviously reignited my interest and got me wondering if I am entitled to similar refunds from the others - namely credit cards with Santander (was Alliance & Leicester), MBNA and Capital One and a loan with Egg.

Trouble is this - all but the Santander claim were carried out when we lived at our old address (we moved at the end of 2016). I was not aware of this commission refund opportunity until much later, and therefore destroyed all paperwork following receipt of the successful PPI claims.

Should I be pre-empting similar contact from these firms, and notify them of my new address? We don’t have any relationship with the new occupant of our old address (it was rented) so having any correspondence redirected is not an option after 3 years. My name is the same.

Even if they contact me and say “nope, sorry”. But, I dread to think that I have a similar commission refund offer(s) nearing their expiry dates as I type!

I’d be interested to hear what others have done in this situation.

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you've already made a successful complaint, then there is no further redress to come.

You've already had it all.
  • FelixCat
    Options
    Ah, that makes sense as this was the only upheld complaint.

Thank you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have complained and been rejected, they should look and see if Plevin applies and get in touch (or you can ask them) - if it does they should pay out

If you have already complained and been successful then you do not get any more money as the Plevin refund is part of the PPI refund
  • nothavingfun
    Options
    I tried the Plevin form on MSE and got this back from the Nationwide "For account number ending ****, this show this policy is outside the scope of the FCA's rules and guidance for non-disclosure of PPI commission, therefore, we cannot agree that compensation is due". Never got a penny of PPI from them, think they're renowned for pushing back, but annoyed as not seen any stuff as to how/why would not apply, don't understand their reply and feel I need a degree in claims!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried the Plevin form on MSE and got this back from the Nationwide "For account number ending ****, this show this policy is outside the scope of the FCA's rules and guidance for non-disclosure of PPI commission, therefore, we cannot agree that compensation is due". Never got a penny of PPI from them, think they're renowned for pushing back, but annoyed as not seen any stuff as to how/why would not apply, don't understand their reply and feel I need a degree in claims!

nationwide have no such reputation.

Plevin relied on a change to the consumer credit act 2006 (effective 2008). So, only applies to existing credit agreements covered under the consumer credit act after 2008 (in some cases 2007).

So, debts repaid prior to 2008 were subject to the old consumer credit act and not subject to plevin. Most mortgages were also not subject to the consumer credit act but MCOB. So, they were exempt as well. Finally, if the PPI was bought at a different time to the debt then they are not covered under Plevin either.

This is all defined in the Plevin rules by the FCA and mentioned frequently on this site.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nothavingfun
    Options
    Thank you for explaining it to me. I get what you are saying, clearly lays it out. Apologies regards Nationwide comment, just my experience in reality.
    Regards
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apologies regards Nationwide comment, just my experience in reality.

Their complaint stats dont indicate any issues. However, as a building society, they would have retailed more mortgage PPI as a ratio to loan and credit card PPI than a bank would have. Most MPPI complaints fail (across the board). So, perhaps that is why some may feel that way.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Nationwide DO however have a reputation of selling valuable PPI cover - reason for ‘lack’ of upheld complaints is because they keep very good records including applications where you would’ve signed separately for the cover, their polices are considered to be of good value for money and their policy terms do not exclude much (they pay out on PEMCs and self-employed).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure