Think Money charges

Options
I was made bankrupt over 6 years ago and at the time was unable to obtain a bank account which i needed for wages and direct debits. I was told the only account i could open was with Think Money who budget your money and sort out all direct debits. I pay a monthly fee of £17.50 for this account. Does anyone think i could claim any of these charges back. I still have the account but am looking into changing bank accounts as i know realise i can have a normal account.
Any help or advise be very greatful.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What would be your basis for a refund?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Does anyone think i could claim any of these charges back. I still have the account but am looking into changing bank accounts as i know realise i can have a normal account.
    I'm afraid you chose to open this fee-paying account voluntarily, nobody forced it on you, so I can't see how you'd argue that it was somehow mis-sold.

Since this sounds like a consequence of being Bankrupt, you would probably be better posting your query on the Bankruptcy Board;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Who told you it was the only account you could have? A few banks do a basic account for people who have been bankrupt that are no fee paying....

I do have to ask though, why has it taken you this long to close it?

You may have more luck on both the bankruptcy board, and the debt free wannabe board.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Levie
    Levie Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I am trying to move from think banking to a normal one but can't due to no passport or driving license is there any other way of just changing thanx
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Levie wrote: »
    I am trying to move from think banking to a normal one but can't due to no passport or driving license is there any other way of just changing thanx

Just close the account and open a new one at the bank you want? You must have other forms of ID such as national insurance number, other bills etc?
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    With all due respect don’t recall banks opening accounts with n.i. numbers, and bills are only used to verify address not ID
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bermonia wrote: »
    With all due respect don’t recall banks opening accounts with n.i. numbers, and bills are only used to verify address not ID

Actually they are

As an example, see Halifax current account ID rules

While they would normally expect a passport or driving license they also accept (excluded the obvious ID ones):

• HMRC Tax Notification.
    • Young Scots Card.
    • Blue disabled drivers pass.
    • Benefits entitlement letter.
    • Home Office Immigration Status Document accompanied by proof of right to reside.
    • Home Office Application Registration Card.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am aware of other non standard docs excepted... however still no N.I number I’m afraid ;)
  • mar4848
    mar4848 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I also have a think money account, I find it worth the fee for the piece of mind that my bills/DDs are held from my income. I doubt their charges could be seen as unfair, they are quite clear about the charges on opening the account, and the charge shows clearly on their statements and online banking tools. As for other accounts, ive only recently got my first adult passport, and I dont drive. My past accounts have been opened using things like council tax statements, birth certificate/marriage certificate, tax letters, documents like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure